Author Topic: Changes to the Rules relating to tourist visas  (Read 4831 times)

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Changes to the Rules relating to tourist visas
« on: May 31, 2010, 05:01:13 PM »
I am sure that most of the frequent travellers to India will be aware of the new restrictions applying to tourist visas.

They state that there must be a minimum 2 month gap between visits - there are exceptions and these can be found at this link on the Ministry of Home Affairs website:

http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/FAQ-TVisa210510.pdf

The story online and in the newspapers a few months ago, was that this restriction was triggered by the activities of David C. Headley, a USA citizen who allegedly scouted for the terrorists who attacked Mumbai.

However, after reading the information on the MHA website, it is clear that the real trigger for this action was the abuse of tourist visas by foreign nationals who simply left the country for one day and then returned with a new visa. Most of whom have no interest whatsoever in anything spiritual.

I have to say that I agree with the restriction, even though it has affected me and will cause distress to many sincere devotees.

What has not been reported, is that this restriction applies to new 'visa applications' also. There has to be at least a two months gap between the expiration of one visa and an application for a new one.

I recommend that everyone reads the above PDF file.

It is a shame that devotees and genuine spiritual seekers have to be restricted in this way, especially as frequent visa applications might even lead to the individual being refused entry altogether.

Perhaps the Indian government might find a way to aid spiritual seekers and block the undesirable elements, especially as India is considered to be the spiritual heart of the world.

I would add here that genuine seekers tend to spend a lot more than casual tourists and vastly more than the undesirable elements.

matthias

• View Profile
Re: Changes to the Rules relating to tourist visas
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 12:10:26 PM »
dear graham

I will fly to india, for the first time, in october this year, we will stay 6 month and then travel to nepal, sikkhim...and back to india again after 6 month..

this should not be a problem I guess, but anyway I will read the pdf. file.

thank you for informing us

much love
matthias