Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 372553 times)

srkudai

Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2010, 06:21:25 PM »
Dear Subramanian,
                 :) That is very accurately said.

I am worried, we inquire who is worried. we do not ask who is not touched by worry. We just ask who is worried.
The statement, you are really untouched by worry is to be "Seen" within.
Purnam adah etc. has to be seen within.
For that, its important to recognize that there is really no one who is worried!

Recognition of non-existence of "I" is Liberation.

Love!
Silence

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2010, 08:09:01 AM »

Dear srkudai,

Yes.  Very true.  One should keep away from worries and anxieties,
because they are not the real "I".  They are my mind's play, smothering my life.  Bhagavan Ramana lived in this state.  For such Brahma Jnanis, all things that are rightfully required come about on their own.

As Lagu Yoga Vasishta says:  He who has nullified the mental
transformations in the waking state as in deep sleep, and whose
company is sought after by the learned for his erudition, just as
the gods seek after the full moon with all his marks, is known to
be liberated in this world.  All beings - whether fierce or gentle,
repose their trust and find peace in him who is perfectly tranquil,
just as they do so in their own mother.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2010, 12:52:54 PM »
  Dear Sri Subramanian Ji and Sri Udai Shankar Ji,

Thank you so much for explaining non-existence of ignorance from a very
 insightful and practically fruitful angle.
 Udai ji's obsevation that ' You are really untouched by
 worry is to be seen within' gives a new and important perspective into
 the enquiry. Thank you so much.

With Regards,
                                                                      Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2010, 01:41:34 PM »
  Existence is awareness which is the negation of ignorance. Sri Bhagwan told Sri S.S. Cohen
  ( Guru Ramana, P-54,55 ) that Concentration, Meditation and all other spiritual practices
 are not performed with the object of realizing the Self, because the Self is ever present,
 but of realizing the non-existence of ignorance.

I am the Existence, Consciousness, and Bliss. Yet, I am not happy. Because I imagine myself other than
 what I am in reality. I imagine myself I am this body, I am this or that.
 I am Anil, father of Amit and Rachana, son of so and so on endlessly.
 I do not see all these in deep sleep but I exist as 'I am'.

Sri Bhagwan asks us to hold on to that existence, that awareness-'I am' alone.
 Sri Bhagwan says that stripped of qualities and superimposition of names and forms
 I am simply, " I-Am-That-I Am ". But Stillness alone can usher us in the experience
 of the Reality that is 'Existence' I am. Sri Bhagwan says that stillness is cessation of
 thinking,which is the universe of names and forms, time and space, all cocepts and percepts whatever.

Sri Bhagwan Says, 'I am' is God. (Talks, no-354)
  Realize " I am " and do not think I am.

" Know I am God "- it is said and not " Think I am God ".

Anil       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2010, 01:57:22 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes.  The Self is beyond thoughts and words.  One cannot think
about Brahman, the unthinkable, and attain It.  All prayers
and worships are only thoughts.  It can only help a person to have
chittasuddhi and this should go hand in hand with self inquiry.

The philosopher Descartes famously concluded in his "I think, therefore I am" statement that thought was a proof of Being.  Thought is only the proof of the individual, mind and ego.  Bhagavan
Ramana ridiculed this assertion in the following statement
that was recorded by Sri Lakshmana Sarma in his Sri Ramana
Paravidyopanishad, verse 166:

The existence of their own Self is inferred by some from mental
functioning, by reasoning 'I think therefore I am'.  These men are
like those dull witted ones who ignore the elephant when it goes
past and become convinced afterwards by looking at the footprints.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2010, 02:29:14 PM »
   Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Thank you so much, Sir, for a very, very beautiful post.
 Particularly Sri Laksman Sharma's recording of this Statement of Sri Bhagwan
 is an act of His ever flowing Grace.

With Regards,
                                                          Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
   Self-enquiry has twin divine weapons in its armoury.
 Who Am I ?
 Whence Am I ?

Sri Bhagwan has said that 'Who am I ?' is Vichara ( Koham?), and 'Whence am I ?' is Dhyana (Kutoham?).
 Dear devotees, ther is no doubt that the hidden and secret desires, such as desires for name and fame
 wealth, honour, company of the opposite sex etc., are hindrances and undoing for the seekers.

Sri Bhagwan said that Self-realization is realization of the non-existence of the ignorance.
 How this ignorance created existence and its attachments will become palpable
 under the searchlight of the Self-enquiry?

A simple suggestion :

When one enquires profoundly, as if this is a life and death question, which in reality it is,
 one tries to hold on to his own substratum i.e. the Self which is Absolute, Full, and Immovable
 Unchanging Reality, one begins to be gradually aware, at last , of the ephemeral and fleeting nature of the
 phenomena on the Immovable-Unchanging Screen of his own being. Immovability of the screen
 helps recognize the ever changing world-realities including his own little self.

Absolute faith in Sri Bhagwan and the diligent practice of the Self-enquiry as taught by Him
 is bound to intensify 'I am' ness, opening the door to one's own wonderful 'Natural State'.

Thank You
                                                                                    Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2010, 12:03:09 PM »
                   When the mind melts with love of Him,
                   Subtle Eye of Consciousness opens,
                   And He reveals Himself as Pure Knowledge.

Sri Bhagwan

Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is holistic and, therefore, it is greater than the sum of its components.
 As an earnest devotee treads the Path, Sri Bhagwan and His Grace are ever watching, bringing about necessary
 correction,if required, besides highlighting the Path itself. There is no doubt about that. After all why did
 the great devotee and the Poet of poets, Sri Muruganar sang that Self-enquiry reveals its own clarity ?
 Indeed, those who say that He is no more in the body, are sceptics, if I may say so.

Dear devotee, what is jnana ? Sri Bhagwan revealed that subjective knowledge or the knowledge knowing itself
 is jnana. Knowing any thing or knowledge of any thing is predicated upon the existence of consciousness or
 awareness. Every experience is possible only because of the 'Presence'. As Sri Bhagwan illustrated so revealingly
 in His plenary 'Death Experience', ' like the shruti note in a musical performance'.

Let us suppose that I am searching  a pen in the pitch darkness. I can not find it when it is dark, although
 the subject and the object both are present in it. Light must be there to unite me to the pen. Similarly,
 Sri Bhagwan clarified that the link between the subject and the object in every experience is Pure Knowledge.
 Knowledge is the Light which connects the seer to the seen.

Consciousness is the substratum and the witness, It is Itself the subjects and the objects as well as the
 Light by which they are perceived, known or experienced. In Truth, there is nothing but awareness.

Thank You
                                                                              Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2010, 12:47:55 PM »
  Dear Devotees,

Ether is a physical concept and physical ether is insentient. But our impure mind is such that it can understand
 concepts only, although it partakes consciousness. Since ether in physics is all-pervading, at least within the
 periphery of the expanding universe or may be up to its four-dimensional end as Sri Einstein postulated. It does not  matter for now. However, it has been a very apt and a helpful entity to have intellectual grasp of the
 all-pervading Reality.

Mind is a mixture of Intelligence and thoughts or of Chit and sankalpas. Therefore, it is responsible for forming
 mirror, light, darkness and reflections. Chit-ether or Chidakasa is Pure Knowledge or Pure Intelligence and It is the
 source of the mind. Sri Bhagwan says that mind is Pure Light or Pure Consciousness at the moment of rising.
 Only afterwards, the central I-thought or the thought ' I am Anil ' rises which at once becomes the basis
 for the rise of the jivas and the world. Sri Bhagwan says that the first Light rising as the wave of Consciousness
 from the Self is the Pure Mind or the Mind-ether or our God-Head or  Ishwara. And like the physical ether which
 contains objects, Mind-ether  contains thoughts which are the jivas and the world. Sri Bhagwan says that the
 physical ether which contains all the gross objects and the whole universe itself, is the content of the Mind-ether
 which is itself the contents of the  Chit-Ether or the Pure Knowledge.
  Chit-Ether is Itself Self or the Pure  Awareness which does not contain any thing in it. Why ?
 Because Sri Bhagwan says that knowing objects is relative knowledge but knowledge, in its purity, is
 One transcendental all-pervading Light.

Thank You,
                                                                     Anil 

srkudai

« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2010, 01:38:16 PM »
Dear Anil,
          :) Consciousness/Brahman is supposed to be changeless.
if this body is Consciousness/Brahman, it has to be changeless, isnt it ?
But we cannot say that the body is changeless

how do we understand this?

Love!
Silence

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2010, 01:47:04 PM »
Dear Udai ji,

The body is growing from childhood to old age and one day it dies. This changeable body is seen by changeless self.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2010, 04:54:46 PM »

The mind-body consciousness does not leave us easily.  That is why
we even try to see God with body.  Today is Skanda Sashti - we think of Muruga with six faces and twelve hands.  Ganesa is with elephant face.  Siva with five faces.  This body will appear and disappear.  This is only meditation in form.  This should give way to formless  meditation.  The sight or vision implies the seer.  The seer cannot deny the existence of the Self.  There is no moment when the Self as Consciousness does not exist.  It is eternal, no appearing and disappearing.  Therefore inquire Who am I?. Sink deep within and abide as the Self.  That is Siva, as BE-ing.   

Arunachala Siva.

srkudai

« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2010, 05:31:51 PM »
We usually say "Everything is Brahman"
All this is Brahman.

Then this body is Brahman too!
But body is changing, Brahman is not supposed to change!

now what I am looking at is, how do you explain this?

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2010, 07:42:46 PM »
Everything is brahman... This statement is only for those who realized and lives in the same sahaja samadhi. Not for all.

Anyway this point is very interesting to explain and to understand...

In the "snake and rope" example  both are also brahman. We never afraid of rope whereas everybody afraid of live snake.
In the same way  an apple is also brahman is eaten by another brahman. Is not it. I think all the doubts will be cleared when
we become brahmahood.

Ramanaduli

srkudai

« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2010, 05:28:57 AM »
You cannot "Become Brahman"
You are already that.

No karma can lead you to Self Realization. Coz all karma is limited.
Bhagavan says in Upadesha saram : Kriti maha udau patana karanam ... one gets lost in the ocean of karmas.
Any karma. Anything "we do", hoping to "be Brahman" is an illusion. It leads to the person getting lost in the ocean of karmas.
Karmas are not for Becoming Brahman. They are for purification of mind.
Only Self Knowledge liberates. Sankara says "Jnana Vihena Sarva Mathena. Bajati na muktim janma satena"

Love!
Silence