Author Topic: Fundamental question about Mind!  (Read 173469 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Fundamental question about Mind!
« Reply #300 on: May 27, 2012, 08:14:53 AM »
Friends,
An excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
The story of the wood-cutter
"Once upon a time a wood-cutter went into a forest to chop wood. There suddenly he met a
brahmachari. The holy man said to him, 'My good man, go forward.' On returning home the
wood-cutter asked himself, 'Why did the brahmachari tell me to go forward?' Some time
passed. One day he remembered the brahmachari's words. He said to himself, 'Today I shall
go deeper into the forest.' Going deep into the forest, he discovered innumerable sandalwood
trees. He was very happy and returned with cart-loads of sandal-wood. He sold them
in the market and became very rich.
"A few days later he again remembered the words of the holy man to go forward. He went
deeper into the forest and discovered a silver-mine near a river. This was even beyond his
dreams. He dug out silver from the mine and sold it in the market. He got so much money
that he didn't even know how much he had.
"A few more days passed. One day he thought: 'The brahmachari didn't ask me to stop at
the silver-mine; he told me to go forward.' This time he went to the other side of the river
and found a gold-mine. Then he exclaimed: 'Ah, just see! This is why he asked me to go
forward.'
"Again, a few days afterwards, he went still deeper into the forest and found heaps of
diamonds and other precious gems. He took these also and became as rich as the god of
wealth himself.
Go forward
"Therefore I say that, whatever you may do, you will find better and better things if only
you go forward. You may feel a little ecstasy as the result of japa, but don't conclude from
this that you have achieved everything in spiritual life
. Work is by no means the goal of
life. Go forward, and then you will be able to perform unselfish work. But again I say that it
is most difficult to perform unselfish work. Therefore with love and longing in your heart
pray to God: 'O God, grant me devotion at Thy Lotus Feet and reduce my worldly duties.
Please grant me the boon that the few duties I must do may be done in a detached spirit.' If
you go still farther you will realize God.

This is a Great lesson from the Master.As our Sadhana progresses we are bound to experience Peace,Silence,Love,flood of knowledge where we understand the deeper sense of the words of Great ones-all these are inevitable.Yet none of these should make us think that we have 'arrived'.We also have to keep these experiences to ourselves and not go overboard declaring our attainment.This outgoing mind is precisely that needs to be subdued. :)
Sri Ramakrishna says:
"Sattvic bhakti is known to God alone. It makes no outward display. A man with such
devotion loves privacy. Perhaps he meditates inside the mosquito net, where nobody sees
him. When this kind of devotion is awakened, one hasn't long to wait for the vision of God
The appearance of the dawn in the east shows that the sun will rise before long."
Namaskar.

srkudai

« Reply #301 on: May 27, 2012, 12:27:35 PM »
Dear Friends,
        :)

Scriptures state that you are Awareness & not body or mind. So thats it. What more ?
You are that!

Mentally you differ from others.
Physically also we differ.

But whole objective of sadhana is to leave the mind where it is and the body where it is. Thats all.

All speaking has to happen from "Buddhi" alone. Self does not speak.

The problem in saying "Oh He was so extraordinary, but i am too ordinary... how can i be Self" is its not sadhana.
because... Self is just the same in both. What was "Extraordinary" in him was only his body-mind and some activities. He himself never
said that those belonged to "Self".
well, me too... what ever is ordinary is only the body - mind and their activities. why take that upon my own head and say "oh, i am ordinary" ?

Harmony in thought and activities ... both are at the relative level. True it is that such a harmony is required. And more importantly... Rght now, I am Self. Thats the point.

srkudai

« Reply #302 on: May 27, 2012, 01:00:57 PM »
:) again, in order to create harmony between living and thoughts ... one is not supposed to lower the thoughts... take up your living and own up your true nature as Self.

and whats the point in creating exotic ideas about saints. saint is one who knows he is Self and not body-mind. thats it.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 27, 2012, 03:03:03 PM »
Friends,
"The rishis of old attained the Knowledge of Brahman. One cannot have this so long as
there is the slightest trace of worldliness. How hard the rishis laboured! Early in the
morning they would go away from the hermitage, and would spend the whole day in
solitude, meditating on Brahman. At night they would return to the hermitage and eat a
little fruit or roots. They kept their minds aloof from the objects of sight, hearing, touch,
and other things of a worldly nature. Only thus did they realize Brahman as their own inner
consciousness.
"But in the Kaliyuga, man, being totally dependent on food for life, cannot altogether shake
off the idea that he is the body. In this state of mind it is not proper for him to say, 'I am
He.'
When a man does all sorts of worldly things, he should not say, 'I am Brahman.' Those
who cannot give up attachment to worldly things, and who find no means to shake off the
feeling of 'I', should rather cherish the idea 'I am God's servant; I am His devotee.' One can
also realize God by following the path of devotion."

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 27, 2012, 03:11:23 PM »
Friends,
An excerpt from Talks with Ramana Maharshi:
The bubbles are different from one another and numerous, but the
ocean is only one. Similarly the egos are many, whereas the Self
is one and only one.
When told that you are not the ego, realise the Reality. Why do you
still identify yourself with the ego? It is like saying, “Don’t think
of the monkey while taking medicine” - it is impossible. Similarly
it happens with common folk. When the Reality is mentioned why
do you continue to meditate Sivoham or Aham Brahmasmi? The
significance must be traced and understood. It is not enough to
repeat the bare words or think of them
Reality is simply the loss of the ego. Destroy the ego by seeking its
identity. Because the ego is no entity it will automatically vanish
and Reality will shine forth by itself. This is the direct method

Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 27, 2012, 04:10:37 PM »
Sri Bhagavan said in the last verse of Ulladu Narpadu:

If asked, 'Which of these three is final liberation: With form, without form, or with-and-without form?' - I say
"Liberation is the extinction of the ego which inquires - 'With form, without form, or with-and-without form'?"

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 27, 2012, 04:16:15 PM »
Friends,
The singing parrot, when at
ease, repeats the holy names of Radha and Krishna, but when it is seized by a cat it utters
its own natural sound; it squawks, 'Kaa! Kaa!' :)

Namaskar.

srkudai

« Reply #307 on: May 27, 2012, 04:27:38 PM »
:)

When Ramakrishna says "a person with worldliness should not say "I AM BRAHMAN"" ... :) it means therefore eliminate worldliness .... not stop saying "I AM BRAHMAN"!!

BTW ... its never worldly activities, but the worldliness that is a trouble. Ex: king janaka.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 04:30:38 PM by srkudai »

srkudai

« Reply #308 on: May 27, 2012, 04:29:31 PM »
Dear Subramanian,
        :) tell me what is death of ego ? Is ego alive now ?

How do u correlate ur understanding with Annamalai swami's statement [first page of final talk] : mind is like a shadow, trying to kill it is like burrying a shadow. ?

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 27, 2012, 04:34:44 PM »
Friends,
Example of Janaka
"Some members of the Brahmo Samaj said to me: 'Sir, our attitude toward the world is that
of King Janaka. Like him, we want to enjoy the world in a detached spirit.' I said to them:
'To live in the world in a detached spirit is very difficult. By merely saying so you cannot
be a King Janaka. How much austerity Janaka practised!
How long he remained in one
posture, with head down and feet up! You don't have to practise these extreme disciplines.
But you need sadhana, you should live in solitude. You may lead the life of a householder
after having attained divine knowledge and love in solitude. Milk turns into curd only when
it is not disturbed. The curd does not set if the milk is often moved from place to place or is
too much disturbed
.'
"On account of his detachment from the world Janaka was also known as the 'Videha', that
is, one free from consciousness of the body
. Though living in the world, he moved about as
a jivanmukta, a free soul living in a body. But for most people freedom from bodyconsciousness
is something very far off
. Intense spiritual discipline is necessary.

Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 27, 2012, 04:36:09 PM »
Quote from Sri Udai:
"When Ramakrishna says "a person with worldliness should not say "I AM BRAHMAN"" ... it means therefore eliminate worldliness .... not stop saying "I AM BRAHMAN."

Yes. That means one should eliminate worldliness and abide as the Self or Brahman. What use saying or repeating parrot-like, "I am Brahman, I am Brahman"?

Anil

srkudai

« Reply #311 on: May 27, 2012, 04:41:30 PM »
Dear Ravi,
        :) I almost knew that would be your next statement :)

Anyways, because its difficult does not offer a reason for the person to chose worldliness to "I AM BRAHMAN"
Practise meditation also. who stops ? But dont stop saying "I AM BRAHMAN" because leaving worldliness is a little difficult.
Remember the story of Vivekananda ... a tiger caught hold of a monk who was meditating "Sivoham" and even to the end he was saying that alone ?

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 27, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »
Friends,
A man going about saying 'I am a Man' 'I am a Man'!
We know 'yes,he is quite a man' :)

srkudai

« Reply #313 on: May 27, 2012, 04:43:17 PM »
Dear Anil,
      :) Right, so "Be it" and say! Say it to the mind! Constantly, again and again. Dont leave a chance to say it. And as you say, be it.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 27, 2012, 04:45:27 PM »
udai,
Do we require such far fetched examples?Just reflect how we behave here.the stamp of the 'ego' is all over the place.only we are too blind to notice it :)