Author Topic: Fundamental question about Mind!  (Read 196148 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Fundamental question about Mind!
« Reply #420 on: May 29, 2012, 09:58:10 AM »
Sanjaya,
It is through Sraddha that we internalize the teachings and part of this is to pay attention to what was said by the Great ones.This is one sure way and effective Sadhana.Through them we enter into Satsangha with the Great ones,and as we do that we find the echo in ourselves and reach  to the source within us.This is how it happens.
When I have mentioned about Sri Annamalai swami,I am telling you from First hand experience,the extent of Sraddha that he had in his Guru and it certainly is worth emulating if one is so inclined.Swami Vivekananda was not like that but 'M' was like Annamalai Swami.At the age of 80 ,he still visited the Kali temple and after he paid his obeisance,he requested his companion to get some sweet(I forget the name of the sweet)from a nearby shop-just because Sri Ramakrishna had told him to do so a long while ago!This may look foolish to the intellect but this is sraddha in its fullest measure.If you have read 'Autobiography of a Yogi',there is a wonderful Chapter on Master Mahasya-'The Blissful devotee and His Cosmic Romance'.It will bring this aspect of 'M'.So wonderful it is.

Coming to the Various commentaries on the Gita,as I have said that it is better to read the Original as it is-There may be few things unclear in the beginning but if we persist with earnestness,we will stand to benefit.One may take help from commentaries but better to approach it directly.This is my view.Others may feel differently.

Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 29, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Dear Ravi,

Yes. Sraddha is the most important requisite.  Sri Bhagavan calls it in pure Tamizh, as uran in Verse 32 of Ulladu Narapdu.

"When the Vedas declared, 'Thou art That' -- not to seek and find the nature of the Self and abide in It, but to think 'I am That
not This' is want of strength (uran). Because, That abides for ever as the Self."

Arunachala Siva.

srkudai

« Reply #422 on: May 29, 2012, 10:43:43 AM »
Dear Raviji,
         :)

Humm... About the stories ... The first 1 is by Ramakrishna: i cannot copy paste for u... i hope you will remember if i give u the story again: a farmer loses his horses. people come and say "its sad", he says "is that so?" ... then they come back with an additional wild horse. the people say "u r right, u r lucky" , he says "is that so?" ... the next day his son breaks his leg tryign to ride that horse ... they come and say "u r unlucky"... he says "is that so ?" ... and then the king wanted people to fight and takes away every youth in the colony, his son was left out coz he had his leg broken. And people come and say "u r lucky", he says "is that so ?" !

Second one, i did not say its story by Ramakrishna ... i said ... Ramakrishna saw the moon and explained it that way. U r reading his works and "getting something else"

srkudai

« Reply #423 on: May 29, 2012, 10:45:12 AM »
Dear Raviji,

1.  I never claimed that logic/words do not have limitations ! :) if u r trying to prove that to me that they have limitations ... its futile.

2. About me & my realization ... lets talk later. Tell me ... are you a) Liberated b) Bound c) Neither ??

3. Continuing kaun banega jivan mukta : are you a) Mind b) body c) mind-body combination d) Atma

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:58:25 AM by srkudai »

srkudai

« Reply #424 on: May 29, 2012, 10:48:26 AM »
Dear Raviji,
       :) I do not have to review all that :) What you pasted and i wrote holds true. u have obviously failed to understand it. Vasana means notion "i am not the self". that needs to be destroyed. Meaning i should remain as Self. not mind/body. Mano-nashanam does not mean "Killing Mind"... coz mind is never alive to be killed.

There is no one thats bound here! There being no bondage [other than self imposed bondage] ... no question of liberation either. Everyone is already free / Liberated. One just needs to "BE" & not impose bondage and limitations upon oneself.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:57:32 AM by srkudai »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 29, 2012, 11:02:32 AM »
udai,
1."The first 1 is by Ramakrishna: i cannot copy paste for u... i hope you will remember if i give u the story again: a farmer loses his horses. people come and say "its sad", he says "is that so?"

Sri Ramakrishna never told that story.I have read this story narrated by Rajneesh in one of his books.

2.As regards the other posts of yours -I have nothing more to add to what I have already posted.

Namaskar.

srkudai

« Reply #426 on: May 29, 2012, 11:09:11 AM »
:D Dear Raviji,
       :) I do not read Rajneesh . So it should be from Ramakrishna / Ramana. or may be its a buddhist / tao or zen story.
BTW ... I am more interested in the moral of the story than who said it!!

I knew u would not answer the questions i raise.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:12:07 AM by srkudai »

srkudai

« Reply #427 on: May 29, 2012, 11:32:39 AM »
Dear Subramanian,
you said :
"The true Self of me is not bound, but my bondage to the real or illusory ego obscures the true Self of me."

So u have already conclused that "you" are mind/ego and now say that this obscures true Self ! :) True ... we need to use words carefully ... long before we do that ... we need to have clarity.

Self is not bound-- Never Bound. That which says u r bound is ego ... thats precisely what u should resolve.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 29, 2012, 11:37:57 AM »
Dear srkudai,

Yes. We are all the Self. But have we realized It?  I have not realized It. Perhaps you may have.

So, at least I am bound by the illusory ego, so I have to transcend it.

We are the Self.
We have not realized the Self.

I am of the view that there is a difference.

Arunachala Siva.

srkudai

« Reply #429 on: May 29, 2012, 11:38:52 AM »
Friends.... Ashtavakra Gita says :

मुक्ताभिमानी मुक्तो हि बद्धो बद्धाभिमान्यपि।
किवदन्तीह सत्येयं या मतिः सा गतिर्भवेत् ॥१-११॥

If you think you are free you are free. If you think you are bound you are bound. It is rightly said: You become what you think. ॥11॥

I hope the meaning is clear from that verse.
now plz dont tell me Ramakrishna/Ramana disagrees with this :D LOL !

srkudai

« Reply #430 on: May 29, 2012, 11:40:17 AM »
Dear Subramanian,
       :) Who says he/she/it has not Realized ? Mind / Body or Self ?

If its the mind ... you are not the mind.
Self Does not say!!

prasanth_ramana_maharshi

• ఓం నమో భగవతే శ్రీ రమణాయ
    • View Profile
    • HARE RAMA HARE KRISHNA
« Reply #431 on: May 29, 2012, 01:37:32 PM »
yes well said udai garu.

Ashtavakra Gita verse makes sense that what we think we become.

Afterall gits says mind is our friend as well as enemy.

ఓం  నమో  భగవతే  శ్రీ  రమణాయ   
ప్రశాంత్  జలసూత్రం
ప్రేమే శాశ్వతము

srkudai

« Reply #432 on: May 29, 2012, 02:13:25 PM »
The problem is , Prashant,
Sadhana means to disassociate from the mind and remain as Self again and again until it becomes effortless.
Thats about Sadhana.
All other sadhanas are basically only indirect means to this.

if a person directly rejects that one is not the Self and says "Right now i am mind ... i will some day realize i am Self" ... thats not going to happen .Coz all sadhanas are done by the mind and mind is retained by all of them.

prasanth_ramana_maharshi

• ఓం నమో భగవతే శ్రీ రమణాయ
    • View Profile
    • HARE RAMA HARE KRISHNA
« Reply #433 on: May 29, 2012, 03:12:54 PM »
i 100% agree with your statement saying Sadhana means to disassociate from the mind and remain as Self again and again until it becomes effortless.

That is the reason why exactly we are here and what infact guru ramana has implemented in his lifetime during his stay in this planet earth.
ఓం  నమో  భగవతే  శ్రీ  రమణాయ   
ప్రశాంత్  జలసూత్రం
ప్రేమే శాశ్వతము

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 29, 2012, 03:23:36 PM »
Friends,
An excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
"Many people think that their opinion alone is right and others' opinions are wrong; that
they alone have won and others have lost. But a person who has gone forward may be
detained by some slight obstacle, and someone who has been lagging behind may then steal
a march on him. In the game of golokdham one may advance a great deal, but still
somehow one's piece may fail to reach the goal.
Inscrutability of God's ways
"Triumph or defeat is in the hands of God. We cannot understand His ways. You must have
noticed that the green coconut remains high in the tree and is exposed to the sun, but still its
milk is cool. On the other hand the paniphal remains in the water, but when eaten it heats
the body."
"A man may be united with God either through action or through inwardness of thought,
but he can know everything through bhakti. Through bhakti one spontaneously experiences
kumbhaka. The nerve currents and breathing calm down when the mind is concentrated.
Again, the mind is concentrated when the nerve currents and breathing calm down. Then
the buddhi, the discriminating power, becomes steady. The man who achieves this state is
not himself aware of it.
Efficacy of bhakti-yoga
"One can attain everything through bhakti yoga. I wept before the Mother and prayed, 'O
Mother, please tell me, please reveal to me, what the yogis have realized through yoga and
the jnanis through discrimination.' And the Mother has revealed everything to me. She
reveals everything if the devotee cries to Her with a yearning heart. She has shown me
everything that is in the Vedas, the Vedanta, the Puranas, and the Tantra."

Namaskar.