Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings  (Read 38453 times)

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2012, 11:23:20 AM »
ITs totally wrong to say "one should not think i am brahman"
Ramana simply said "Enquiry into "I"" is superior to meditation on "I AM BRAHMAN".

For one who cannot inquire into "I" continuously    , I AM Brahman attitude is a must.

why whould Ramana suggest reading Ribhu Gita? What does it contain from page 1 to end ?
Just the bhavana "I AM Brahman"!

Harih OM!
http://www.selfabidance.blogspot.in/

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2012, 11:25:12 AM »
Scriptures suggest meditation on "I AM Brahman"

Also Ramana criticized repeating "I am Brahman" without understanding and being with it!
Harih OM!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2012, 06:37:38 PM »
there are no others to be helped. For a realised being sees the Self, just like a goldsmith estimating the gold in various jewels. When you identify yourself with the body then only the forms and shapes are there. But when you transcend your body the others disappear along with your body-consciousness.

(Talks)

मनश्चेन्न लग्नं गुरोरंघ्रिपद्मे ततः किं ततः किं ततः किं ततः किम् ।।

Manaschenna lagnam Gurorangri padme, Thatha kim Thathah Kim, Thathah kim Thathah kim

If the mind does not remain at the Lotus feet of Guru, What is the use? What is the use? What is the use!!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2012, 06:39:51 PM »
The realised being does not see the world as different from himself.

(Talks)

Manaschenna lagnam Gurorangri padme, Thatha kim Thathah Kim, Thathah kim Thathah kim

If the mind does not remain at the Lotus feet of Guru, What is the use? What is the use? What is the use!!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2012, 06:41:37 PM »
D.: If there be a hundred Self-realised men will it not be to the greater
benefit of the world?

M.: When you say ‘Self’ you refer to the unlimited, but when you add
‘men’ to it, you limit the meaning. There is only one Infinite Self.

(Talks)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 19, 2012, 06:48:01 PM »
Take the case of bhakti - I approach Iswara and pray to be absorbed in Him. I then surrender myself in faith and by concentration. What remains afterwards? In place of the original ‘I’, perfect self-surrender leaves a residuum of God in which the ‘I’ is lost. This is the highest form of devotion (parabhakti), prapatti, surrender or the height of vairagya. You give up this and that of ‘my’ possessions. If you give up ‘I’ and ‘Mine’ instead, all are given up at a stroke. The very seed of possession is lost. Thus the evil is nipped in the bud or crushed in the germ itself. Dispassion (vairagya) must be very strong to do this. Eagerness to do it must be equal to that of a man kept under water trying to rise up to the surface for his life.

(Talks)

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:01:28 PM by Nagaraj »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 19, 2012, 07:06:39 PM »
In fact, there is no one who does not say ‘I am’.

(Talks)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 19, 2012, 07:35:37 PM »
D.: Shall I meditate on “I am Brahman” (Aham Brahmasmi)?

M.: The text is not meant for thinking “I am Brahman”. Aham (‘I’) is
known to everyone. Brahman abides as Aham in everyone. Find out
the ‘I’. The ‘I’ is already Brahman. You need not think so. Simply
find out the ‘I’.

(Talks)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2012, 06:55:58 AM »
The Professor: Is not the state of non-consciousness close to Infinite Consciousness?
M.: Consciousness alone remains and nothing more.
D.: Sri Bhagavan’s silence is itself a powerful force. It brings about a certain peace of mind in us.
M.: Silence is never-ending speech. Vocal speech obstructs the other speech of silence. In silence one is in intimate contact with the surroundings. The silence of Dakshinamurti removed the doubts of the four sages. Mouna vyakhya prakatita tatvam (Truth expounded by silence.) Silence is said to be exposition. Silence is so potent. For vocal speech, organs of speech are necessary and they precede speech. But the other speech lies even beyond thought. It is in short transcendent speech or unspoken words, para vak.
D.: Is there knowledge in Realisation?
M.: Absence of knowledge is sleep. There is knowledge in Realisation.But this knowledge differs from the ordinary one of the relation of subject and object. It is absolute knowledge. Knowledge has two meanings:(1) vachyartha = vritti = Literal meaning. (2) lakshyartha = Jnana = Self = Swarupa =Secondary significance-(I feel this is either wrongly translated or interpolated by the translator Munagala Venkatramiah.It cannot be 'Secondary'-Ravi).
D.: With vritti one sees knowledge.
M.: Quite so, he also confounds vritti with knowledge. Vritti is a mode of mind. You are not the mind. You are beyond it.

Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2012, 10:15:40 AM »
Lakshyartha is not secondary significance. Lakshyartha means its the "Pointed to".
Words cannot directly reveal Brahman. So vakyartha of words cannot be Brahman.
But when one chants "OM", one is left as Awareness which is what is "pointed to"
by the word. Hence it can be said that OM 's Lakshyartha is Self.
OM may also be used as a pratika for worship... this sense it is direct meaning
or vakyartha ... that is saguna brahmana.

Vedantic teachings do not work to create an object called "Self".
They only work to undo the objective world and leave us as Self!
Hence the vedantic vakyas indicate or reveal Self in an indirect way.

its not secondary significance.
Harih OM!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2012, 10:19:03 AM »
When I, scrutinized within the mind who is the seer (who saw thus) ?, the seer became non-existent and I saw that which remained (namely the real Self). The mind (the ego or I thought) does not (now) rise to say, "I saw (the Self)" ; (therefore) how can the mind rise to say, ‘I did not see (the Self)’ ? Who has the power to reveal this (the stateof Self-experience) by speaking, when in ancient times (even) You (as Dakshinamurthi) revealed it only without speaking (that is, only through silence) ? Only to reveal Your state (the true state of Self experience) without speaking (that is, through Silence), You stood shining as a Hill (rising from) earth (to) sky.

(Translation of Michael James and Sadhu Om)

Enquiring within "Who is the seer?" I saw the seer disappearing and That alone which stands for ever. No thought arose to say "I saw". How then could the thought arise to say "I did not see?" Who has the power to explain all this in words, when even You (as Dakshinamurti) conveyed this of yore in silence only? And in order to reveal by silence, Your state transcendent, now You stand here, a Hill resplendent soaring to the sky.

(Translation of Swaminathan)

(Arunachala Ashtakam 2)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2012, 12:34:05 PM »
Not to think “I am Brahman” or “All is Brahman” is itself jivanmukti.

Thanks for this wonderful pick from Talks 111. I can retrace my steps and I was in this trap for a long time during 2007-2008 period :) after listening to some so-called gurus. Wish I had read Talks at that time - would not have spent 2-3 years in that mode

Sanjay

While talks with Bhagwan Ramana are good for beginners to get interested in Bhagwan Ramana's teachings , we must be quite careful about their contents as they are written in English and there can be errors in communicating in English and also errors due to the tone of language .Most of the people use a Yogic language for communication and that is the problem in Advaita . So they may intend one thing but communicate in a different tone and that leads to errors .
The best source for Bhagwan's works are his pure Tamil Works ( Arunachala Stuti Panchakam and Updaesa Nun Malai - Upadesa Undiyar , Ulladu Naarpadu /Anubandam , Ekanma Panchakam , Appalap Patty , Anma Vidya ) + Guru Vachaka Kovai that he has himself personally edited and checked before they were published .

Ramana Ashram has brought out an excellent Commentary on Arunachala Stuti Panchakam and Upadesa Nun Malai in English by Smt T R Kanakammal , who had the blessings of Bhagwan Ramana and also fortunate to get personal lessons on Bhagwan's Works from Sri Murugunar and hence her works can be considered as very authentic .I have both the English and Tamil versions and it is good to read in Tamil but if u do not know Tamil next best is to read her English Translation .

Om Peace .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2012, 12:35:54 PM »
"Who s the seer?' When I sought within, I watched the disappearance of the seer and what survived him. No thought of
'I saw' arose. How then could be the thought 'I did not see' arise?  Who has the power to convey this in word when even
Thou couldst do so in ancient days by silence only? Only to convey by silence Thy transcendent state, Thou as a Hill, shining
from heaven to earth. (Ashtakam, Verse 2, A.Osborne's translation).

Who is the youthful guru beneath the banyan tree?
Very old are the pupils who seek him.
The handsome teacher's speech in silence,
Cleared are all the pupil's doubts.

- Dakshinamurti Stotram.     

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »

have faith and that will save you.

(Talks)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2012, 07:11:41 PM »
When the matter is understood intellectually the earnest seeker begins to apply it practically. He argues at every moment, “For whom are these thoughts? Who am I?” and so forth, until he is well-established in the conviction that a Higher Power guides us. That is firmness of faith. Then all his doubts are cleared and he needs no further instructions.

(Talks)