Author Topic: Day by Day with Bhagavan:  (Read 11249 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Day by Day with Bhagavan:
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2013, 12:54:50 PM »
08.10.1945:

Janaki, daughter of A. Subbaraydu, the Deputy Superintendent of Police of this place, asked Bhagavan:  "I want to do nama
smarana always.  But I am also keen on getting higher education.  (She is in the first year College class.)  What should I do?   

Bhagavan: There is nothing contradictory between the two desires.

Janaki: If I am always doing nama smarana, how can I carry on studies for which the mind is required?

Bhagavan did not answer. But Frydman and I told the girl:  "It was said both could be done at the same time. Frydman added
"Give the mind to the studies and the heart to God."

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2013, 01:25:44 PM »
09.10.1945:

Afternoon:

Mr. K. Mahatani asked in continuation of the above, "If we want to succeed  in any enterprise in the world, we must give our
whole mind and heart to it. Otherwise we cannot succeed. So it is rather impracticable to devote one's mind both to God
and worldly activity.

Bhagavan: If one keeps fixed in the Self, the activities will still go on and their success will not be affected. One should not
have the idea that one is the doer. The activities will still go on.  That force, by whatever name you call it, which brought
the body into existence will see to it that the activities which this body is meant to go through are brought about.

Mr. Mahatani was still not quite satisfied and thereupon, Bhagavan referred  him to read an article on renunciation which is found
at the end of Gita Press edition of Bhagavad Gita. This article mentions seven stages of renunciation and Bhagavan said, "Let
Mahatani see if anything in this article appeals to him.".  I read out the whole article in the Hall for the benefit of all, as Sri
Bhagavan desired. It is said that there that one who has reached the seventh stage of renunciation will not feel even when
his body is cut by a weapon or some other suffering is inflicted on him. When this portion was being read, Bhagavan remembered
the poem, the meaning of which is:

They won't be afraid even if guileful enemies stab their chest, or they are surrounded by fire or bitten by a cobra all will be bliss
for them.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »
10.10.1945:

Morning:

I came across the following on pages 110 and 111 in Letters to my friends by Gilbert Henry Gedge in the
September 1945, issue of Science of Thought Review:

"Again people sometimes say that when they are at work, there is no time to be thinking about God. Their mind has to be
'on the job'.

"Now, friend, I say to you once again that for all these different matters the remedy is the same. Seek first the kingdom of God.
When that is done all things fall into their proper place and their proper perspective in our mind.  God is in you and in all your
circumstances now, and you and your own individual little world are in God now. Realization of that fact involves also the realization
that all things in your life are in their place and order, that the law of God rules your whole life and circumstances.  Nothing whatever
can be excluded from the rule of that law when we realize that our life is actually lived in God.  Even when we are engaged in our
daily work it helps to think of God, to recognize His presence with us, within and around us and in our job.  It helps even more to
see and better ways of doing it and are blessed in the doing."

I read this out to Sri Bhagavan and He approved of it and even asked me to show it to Mr. Mahatani as bearing on the last
evening's talks.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2013, 12:56:35 PM »
18.10.1945:

An old venerable man with distinguished look of an ascetic was staying in the Asramam for the past one month. He used to repeat
the entire Bhagavad Gita and on that day of his departure,  Bhagavan touched him in the following circumstances:

Bhagavan returned to the Hall after His morning walk on the Hill and sat on the couch. While His feet were still touching the
ground, the above ascetic fell at Bhagavan's feet, his head almost touching Bhagavan's feet and prayed that Bhagavan should
bless him with diksha by touch, adding that he would not get up till Bhagavan did so.  Bhagavan thereupon was pleased to put
one of His hands on the old man's head and lifted him with the other hand.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2013, 01:26:20 PM »
19.10.1945:

A barrister from Bombay asked Bhagavan: "I have read the works of Bhagavan and others and, though I can understand them
intellectually, I have not been able to realize anything in experience. I have tried Sri Bhagavan's method for about six years
and yet I have not made any progress. When I meditate, other thoughts come. For people like me, living in cities and  doing
our work, and coming here only occasionally, what sadhana would Sri Bhagavan advise so that we may succeed better than
I have so far been able to do?"

Bhagavan: Your real nature is always there. Your meditation etc.m, come only temporarily. Realty being your Self, there is nothing
for you to realize. All that is required is that you should give up regarding the unreal as real, which is what all are doing. The object
of meditation, dhyana or japa is only that, to give up all thoughts regarding non self, to give up many thoughts and to keep to the one
thought.

As for sadhana, there are many methods.  You may do vichara, asking yourself Who am I? or if that does not appeal to you, you
may do dhyana 'I am Brahman' or otherwise, or you concentrate on a mantra or name in japa. The object is to make the mind one
pointed, to concentrate on one thought and thus exclude our many thoughts, and we do this, eventually the one thought  also will
go and the mind will get extinguished in its source.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2013, 12:34:15 PM »
19-10-1945;

continues.....

Visitor: In actual practice I find I am not able to succeed in my efforts. Unless Bhagavan's grace descends on me, I cannot succeed.

Bhagavan: Guru's grace is always there You imagine it is something, somewhere high up in the sky, far away, and has to descend.
It is really inside you, in your heart, and the moment (by any methods) you effect subsidence or merger of the mind into its source,
the grace rushes forth, spouting as form a spring, from within you.

Another visitor asked: "What is the reality of this world?"

Bhagavan: If you know your reality first, you will be able to know the reality of the world, It is a strange thing that most people
do not care to know about their own reality, but are very anxious to know about the reality of the world.  You realize your own
Self first and then see if the world exists independently of you and is able to come and assert before you its reality or existence.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
26.10.1945:

I asked Bhagavan: "I know that in the  Madurai house itself, Bhagavan had the dawn of Jnana and that ever since then,
Bhagavan had no dehatma buddhi (I am this body consciousness).  I know also that Bhagavan had a 'tApA' ( a burning
sensation) in the body which did not cease until He arrived at the temple here and reported His arrival to God Arunachaleswara.

But I don't believe this was the "ninneri" (see verse 55 meaning 'The great burning caused by You') mentioned in  AAMM; I also
think that Bhagavan has gone through the severe pain or physical ordeal which I read most Saints had to go through when the
knot between body and spirit is sundered. I wish to know when this happened in Bhagavan's life.  I know this information is not
needed for my improvement. But for Bhagavan's history I think it is necessary."

Bhagavan kept quiet and only smiled. But after a time, He said the AAMM was written about 1914-15.  By that Bhagavan apparently
meant to tell me that the knot was sundered long before that, about 1896 itself.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2013, 01:27:45 PM »

29.10.1945:

Dilip Kumar Roy singer and author, who is on a visit here from Sri Aurobindo Ashram, asked Bhagavan:  "According to the Maha
Yoga, you say that the Sages have not said anything to contradict each other. Yet, we find one advocating Bhakti, another
Jnana etc., leading thus to all sorts of quarrels."

Bhagavan: There is really nothing contradictory in such teachings. When for instance, a follower of bhakti marga declares that
bhakti is the best, he really means by the word bhakti what the Jnana Marga man calls Jnana. There is no difference in the state or
its description by attributes or transcendence of attributes.  Only different thinkers have used different words. All these different
margas, or paths or sadhanas lead to the same goal.  What is once a means becomes itself the goal. When that happens dhyana,
bhakti or jnana, which was at one time a conscious and painful effort, becomes normal and natural state, spontaneously and
without effort.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2013, 12:21:39 PM »
30.10.1945:

Afternoon:

Dilip Kumar Roy read out a poem in English composed by him on Sri Bhagavan and sang some songs before Bhagavan.  Later,
he asked Bhagavan: 'While all say Guru's direction is necessary it seems Bhagavan has said a Guru is not necessary.'

Bhagavan: I have not said so. But a Guru need not always be in a human form. First a person thinks he is an inferior and
that there is a superior, all knowing and all powerful God, who controls his own and the world's destiny, and worships him or
does bhakti.  When he reaches a certain stage and becomes fit for enlightenment, the same God whom he was worshipping
comes as Guru and leads him on.  That Guru comes only to tell him: 'The God is within yourself. Dive within and realize.'  God,
Guru and the Self are all the same.

Roy: But in Bhagavan's case there was no Guru.

Bhagavan: The whole world was my Guru. It has been already said that Guru need not be in human form and that the Self within,
God and Guru are the same.

Roy: I once asked my Gurudev (Sri Aurobindo) about this and he said, 'A spiritual Hercules like Bhagavan need no Guru.'

Bhagavan: Everything in the world was my Guru. Don't you know that Dattatreya, when he was asked by the king which Guru
taught him the secret of bliss, replied that the earth, water, fire, animals, men etc., were all his Gurus and went on explaining
how some of these taught him what things he should avoid as bad.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2013, 12:12:13 PM »

31.10.1945:

Morning:

Chella Battar (Daivasikamani Battar), temple priest of Tiruchuzhi, has come. Sri Bhagavan pointed him out to me and said,
"Whenever I see him I am reminded of the cut I received on my left finger and the scar it has left. I was about eight years
old and he about three. His house was third from ours. Before his birth, and when I was a child, I used to be frequently
taken to their house and petted as almost their child. It was Pongal time and this child came to our house with one hand holding
a new aRivAL maNai - (blade fastened to a piece of wood for slicing vegetables) and the other hand dragging a long stout sugar
cane. I hastened to cut the sugar cane for the child and accidentally got a cut between my thumb and left forefinger. I quietly asked
the child to go back to his house and ran to the hospital and got my wound treated.  It is this gentleman's son that was here
sometime back,  called Karpura Sundaram, who is now doing puja in 'Sundara Mandiram' at Tiruchuzhi.

Arunachala Siva.