Author Topic: Day by Day with Bhagavan:  (Read 11183 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Day by Day with Bhagavan:
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 09:31:22 AM »
06.06.1946:

In the afternoon, G.V.S. (G.V. Subbaramiah) asked: 'What is the difference between manasa japa and dhyana?

Sri Bhagavan:  They are the same. In both, the mind is concentrated on one thing, the mantra or the Self. Mantra, Japa, Dhyana
-- are only different in names. So long as they require effort we call them by these names, but when the Self is realized, this goes
on without any effort and what was the means becomes the goal.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 03:13:13 AM »
10.04.1946:

Dr. Masalavala gave Sri Bhagavan, a letter addressed to Him by a friend of his. Sri Bhagavan perused it. Some portions of it were
not cogent. With other portions, there could be no quarrel. The letter said that all is contained in asti (Sat), bhati (Chit), priya
(Ananda), nam, rup, that the first three constitute reality, and the rest the fleeting and unreal. That Jnana consists in seeing
only the Reality and not the nam-rup, that the first three constitute Aham and the next two constitute idam (this). Sri Bhagavan
agreed and said, 'I' and 'this' between them exhaust everything. The letter also said that seeing Brahman alone in everything and
everywhere is Jnanottara Bhakti. With reference to this, Sri Bhagavan said: It is a matter of mere words, whether you call the stage
of seeing only Brahman, Janottara Bhakti or bhakti-uttara jnana. In reality, saying, 'We must see Brahman in everything and everywhere' is also not quite correct. Only that stage is final, where there is no seeing, where there is no time or space. There will be
no seer, seeing and an object to see. What exists then is only the Infinite Eye.'

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 08:56:55 AM »
21.09.1946:

This morning, as directed by Bhagavan, a letter received by me from K. Ramachandra of Colombo and another received by
Uma were read  out in the Hall. The letters described how the Jubilee was celebrated in Mr. Ramachandra's house with about
250 devotees (of different castes), each one of whom placed flowers at Bhagavan's feet and worshipped Him, and how all left
with a feeling that Bhagavan was present in their midst that day. The letter to Uma quoted two stanzas from Subrahmanya Bhujangam
as very aptly describing Bhagavan and also said that R's Ashtakam was really composed by Bhagavan who inspired  the lines.
Otherwise, R. cannot explain, why, when the children sing the Ashtakam at prayer time, he goes into ecstasy and forgets himself.

In the afternoon, Nagamma read out her revised account of the Jubilee Celebrations. It is very well written and full of bhakti rasa.
It will soon appear in print. When R's letter was read out and the two stanzas therein from Subrahmanya Bhujangam were quoted,
Bhagavan said that it was Mr.K.V.R. Iyer (deceased brother of Ramantha Iyer) who first published from here the above work, though
subsequently other editions and some translations in Tamizh have come out.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 09:40:07 AM »

Sri Bhagavan also said: We were in Virupakshi Cave and when a tiger came that way one night, this is the person  (Vasudeva
Sastri) who hastily ran into the cave leaving us in the verandah, shut the door and then cried to the tiger, 'Come on now. What
can you do?' Vasudeva Sastri said, 'Once Sri Bhagavan and I went round the Hill during the Skandasramam days. When we reached
near Esanya Mutt about 8.30 am., Sri Bhagavan sat on a rock and said with tears in His eyes He would never again come to the
Asramam and would go when He pleased and live in the forests or caves away from all men. I would not leave Him and He would \
not come. It became very late. We went there about 8 or 8.30 am. and even when it became 1 pm. we were still in the deadlock.
Sri Bhagavan asked me to go into the town and eat my food and then come back if I wanted. But I was afraid that if I went Bhagavan
\would go away somewhere. Meanwhile, the Swami of Esanya Mutt very unexpectedly came that way. Ordinarily it could not be
expected he would have come there at that time at all. But strange to say, he came that way and he persuaded Sri Bhagavan to go
with him to Esanya Mutt. I left Sri Bhagavan there and ran up to the town for my food and came back swiftly, fearing that
Sri Bhagavan might have left. But I found Him there and we both came to Skandasramam afterwards.

contd....

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 09:05:16 AM »
05.10.1946:

(This incident/conversation  is prior to what was posted yesterday.

This morning, a person came and prostrated himself before Sri Bhagavan at the dining hall. He almost touched Him, and as I
was wondering who it could be, the person announced himself to Sri Bhagavan as Vasu and Sri Bhagavan said, 'Is it you?
If you had not said it, I should have never recognized you. You have gone down so much.' The visitor replied, 'I find I must
say the same about Bhagavan.' To this Sri Bhagavan said, 'Why? What is the matter with me? Probably because you are reduced,
and I appear reduced to you!'

Later, in the Hall, Sri Bhagavan introduced this gentleman to all present and said, 'This is the Vasu (Vasudeva Sastri) to caught
hold of me when returning from an oil bath one hot day to Skandasramam and I had the experience of what seemed like utter
collapse with even the heart beat stopping.' Then Vasudeva Sastri said, 'I was then too young. I did not even know it was death.
But because Palaniswami started crying, I thought it was death and I caught hold of Bhagavan and I was trembling with grief.'
Sri Bhagavan said here, 'I could even in that state clearly see his trembling and emotion.' Vasudeva Sastri added that, after Sri
Bhagavan recovered, He told Vasudeva Sastri and Palaniswami, 'What? You thought I died? Did you believe I would die even
without telling you?'

When this and the second incident (mentioned yesterday) was mentioned, Sri Bhagavan said, 'Another time too I wanted to run
away from all this crowd and live somewhere unknown, freely as I liked. That was when I was in Virupakshi Cave. I felt my being
there was an inconvenience and hardship to Jada Swami and some other swamis there. But on that occasion too my plans were
frustrated by Yogananda Swami.

I tried to be free on a third occasion also. That was after mother's passing away. I did not want to have even an Asramam like
Skandasramam and the people that were coming there then. But the result has been this Asramam and all the crowd here. Thus
all my three attempts failed.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 09:58:47 AM »
06.10.1946:

Someone asked Bhagavan whether He deliberately went in for a study of Periyapuranam. Thereupon, Sri Bhagavan said: No.
No. It was a mere accident. A relation of mind, my uncle, was given the book by a swami who was living near our house and was
advised to read it. Thus the book happened to be in our house and, coming across it, I looked it first out of curiosity and then,
becoming interested, read the whole book. It made a great impression on me. Before that, the sixty three images of the Nayanars
in the temple were mere images and no more. But afterwards, they gained new significance for me. I used to go and weep before
those images and before Nataraja that God should give me the same grace He gave to those saints. But this was after 'death'
experience. Before that, the bhakti for the sixty three saints lay dormant, as it were.

Mr. Somasundaram Pillai asked Bhagavan: With what bhava did Bhagavan cry before those images? Did Bhagavan pray He should
have no furrther birth or what? Sri Bhagavan replied, 'What bhava? I only wanted the same grace as was shown  to those saints.
I prayed I should have the same bhakti that they had. I knew nothing of freedom from births and bondage.'

Arunachala Siva.     

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 10:19:50 PM »
Day by Day with Bhagavan
29-4-1946
Mr.Nanavathi asked Bhagavan the following:
Nanavati: I suppose mere mauna in speech is no good; but we must have mauna of the mind.
Bhagavan: Of course .  If we have real mauna, that state in which the mind is merged into its source and has no more separate existence, then all other kinds of mauna will come of their own accord i.e. the mauna of words, of action and of the mind or chitta.
Bhagavan also quoted in this connection, a verse from Thayumanavar:
'If I get pure mauna (quiescence), I shall have mauna of chitta, mind, word and deed.'
Bhagavan aded ,"Such mauna is not inertness but great activity.  It is the most powerful speech."
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 08:30:27 AM »
26.02.1946:

A visitor told Sri Bhagavan, 'Even in my dream I sometimes feel that I am dreaming, i.e. I am conscious that it is a dream
and that a fall for instance there cannot hurt me and so on. How is that?'

Bhagavan:  How can that be? Even in a dream there must be hurt consequent on a fall. On the other hand, if you are aware
it is a dream, you are no longer dreaming.  At best, it may be the transition stage when you are awaking from the dream state.

Arunachala Siva.     

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 10:23:39 PM »
3-6-1946

G.V.Subbaramayya:  Did Subramanya Bharati ever come to Bhagavan?

Bhagavan:  I think he did once.  It was when we were on the hill.  One evening when only Sivayya the late Mouni Swami of Kutralam), who is dead now, was with me, someone came and sat for nearly an hour before me and then went away without saying a word.  Later , when I saw pictures of Bharati I thought it must have been he.

from the Boundless Ocean of Grace Vo.V.
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 08:45:13 AM »
26.02.1946:

A squirrel came to Bhagavan and He was feeding it with cashew nut pieces as usual. Turning to me, He said, "Shroff sent some
cashew nuts yesterday and said, "They were intended for my dumb friends."  I said, "Probably Bhagavan would object our calling
these squirrels dumb."  Bhagavan said: "They communicate with me. Sometimes I am in a nap. They come and draw attention to
their presence by gently biting my finger tips. Besides, they have a lot of language of their own. There is one great thing about
these squirrels. You may place any amount of food before them. They will just eat what they need and leave the rest behind.
Not so the rat, for instance. It will take everything it finds and stocks in its hole."

I remarked: "Possibly it would be said that the squirrel is a less intelligent creature than the rat, because it does not plan or
provide for the future, but lives in the present." Sri Bhagavan  said: "Yes. Yes. We consider it intelligence to plan and live
wretchedly like this. See how many animals and birds live in this world without planning and stocking. Are they all dying?"

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 08:44:56 AM »
27.02.1946:  Morning.

With the post arrived a composition from the pen of Chinta Dikshitulu, in Telugu, entitled In the First Place, Who are You Ramana?.
After perusing the letters, Sri Bhagavan asked Balaram to read it out in the Hall, and the same was done. The gist of the paper
is: "You ask everybody who puts a question, 'Who are you that puts this question?' But who are You? There is sufficient
justification for one to regard you as Krishna or as Skanda, or as the Goddess who became merged in Arunachala as Ardhanariswara
or again as Dakshinamurti. In fact, we can go on imagining as many other gods also. Again, when you sit with your palms turned
to the fire by your side, you look like giving abhaya (i.e., protection from fear). Now, is it only to those in the Hall you are giving
abhaya or to all in the world? It must be the latter. For you have come into the world to give abhaya to all."

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 09:12:07 AM »
01.03.1946:

Dr. Syed asked Bhagavan, "Does not total or complete surrender require that one should not have left in him the desire even
for liberation or God?"

Bhagavan: Complete surrender does require that you have no desire of your own, that God's desire alone is your desire
and that you have no desire of your own.

Dr. Syed: Now that I am satisfied on that point, I want to know what are the steps by which I could achieve surrender.

Bhagavan: There are two ways; one is looking into the source of 'I' and merging into that Source. The other is feeling
'I am helpless by myself, God alone is all powerful and except throwing myself completely on him, there is no other means
of safety for me,' and thus gradually developing the conviction that God alone exists and the ego does not count. Both methods
lead to the same goal. Complete surrender is another name for Jnana or liberation.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 08:33:48 AM »
20.04.1946:

A Muslim visitor put some questions and got the following answers:

Q: This body dies. But there is another imperishable body. What is it?

Bhagavan: 'Imperishable body' is a contradiction in terms. The term 'sariram' means that which will perish. Of course, there
is something imperishable, something which exists even after the body dies.

Q: It is said that the Lord's light resides in the eye.

Bhagavan: The eye does not see. That which gives light to it is the Reality, whether we call it Lord's light or anything else.

Q: The Lord has created all this, has He not? What was created first? It is said light or sound was created first.

Bhagavan: All these things, which you say have been created have to be seen by you before you say that they exist. There must
be a seer. If you find out who that seer is, then you will know about creation and which was created first. Of course, various
theories as to what came into existence first from God are given out. Most, including scientists, agree that all has come from light
and sound.

Q: Can we call anything created, like this piece of wood, for example, God? It is said it is very wrong to do so.

Bhagavan: Even this piece of wood, does it exist apart from God? Can we confine God to any time or place, since He is
everywhere and in everything?  We should not see anything as apart from God. That is all.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2012, 09:22:43 AM »
10.02.1946:

In the morning post was received a letter written in French and Mr. Balaram translated it into English for Sri Bhagavan. It is
from the editors of the journal called Spirituality which during the war penetrated all the prisoners' camps in
Germany. They have published a book of about 600 pages called Reconstruction of Man. They say that their view is similar
to Sri Bhagavan's. They also hold that man in his egoless state, far from losing himself in a void, finds himself as he has always
been in his profoundest depths. They say that they belong to the Vedic brotherhood of Prajapatis. They hope to go to India
next year and to visit Tiruvannamalai and Pondicherry.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »
03.03.1946:

A visitor quoted Verse 33 of Ch. 3 of Bhagavad Gita and asked Sri Bhagavan: 'Are wed then to do nothing and simply allow
the senses to go their own way?'

Bhagavan: It only means actions will go on, according to the gunas or prakriti of the man. They cannot be prevented.
But,  that is the very reason why man should acquire Jnana and thus become unaffected by the consequences of such
action. The verse says: 'Acquire Jnana and be unattached to the actions and their consequences.'

Sri Bhagavan said this after saying, 'Let us see in what connection this verse occurs', and looking up the verse in question.
Then I remembered that once before I asked Bhagavan about this very same verse, and then Sri Bhagavan pointed out to me
the very next verse in which we are directed not to yield to the senses. I mentioned this for the guidance of the visitor. Sri
Bhagavan told me then that, if the two verses were taken together, it could not be contended that Gita teaches, 'Don't restrain
or attempt to restrain the senses, because what does restraint avail?

Arunachala Siva.