Author Topic: Day by Day with Bhagavan:  (Read 11182 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Day by Day with Bhagavan:
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2013, 12:54:29 PM »
05.05.1946:

Mr. Kasturi Chetti brought news that Ganapati Sastri (not Ganapati Muni) had passed away that morning, and that hernia was the
cause. Talking about Ganapati Sastri, Sri Bhagavan said he was a great friend of Grant Duff, that he was a great lover of books, and
that he would promptly buy (not necessarily read) all good books that came out and keep them in his library.

Sri Bhagavan said, 'Some rare books, which would not be got elsewhere, were available with him.'

Mr. T.P.R. said that Sri Bhagavan was once waylaid and taken to Ganapati Sastri's house to see the library he had collected.
Sri Bhagavan said, 'It was he who got the Ramana Gita written in Nagari characters. Nayana wrote it down in Telugu characters.'

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2013, 10:47:16 AM »
05.05.1946:

Evening:

In an answer to a visitor, Sri Bhagavan said, 'Find out to whom is Viyoga. That is Yoga. Yoga is common to all paths. Yoga is really
nothing but ceasing to think that you are different from the Self or Reality. All the yogas --- karma, jnana, bhakti, and raja --- are
just different paths to suit different natures with different modes of evolution and to get them out of the long cherished notion that
they are different from the Self. There is no question of union or yoga in the sense of going and joining something that is somewhere
away, from us or different from us, because you never were or could be separate from the Self.'

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
23.05.1946:

G.V. Subbaramayya had come while I was away and he was making a Telugu translation of a parody of Bhagavan had composed
of a stanza by Avvaiyar, the old lady saint. Avvaiyar's song goes: "Oh, pain giving stomach, you will not go without food even for one
day, nor will you take enough for two days at a time. You have no idea of the trouble I have on your account. It is impossible to
get on with you."   

Bhagavan immediately replied with a parody giving the stomach's complaint against the ego. "Oh ego, You will not give even an
hour's rest to me, your stomach. Day after day, every hour, you keep on eating. You have no idea how I suffer, it is impossible
to get on with you."

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »
24.05.1946:

Crowds of devotees have already arrived for tomorrow's Mahapuja* (* Death anniversary of the Mother Azhagamma). All is bustle
and joy with devotees meeting again under Sri Bhagavan's gracious watchful care. One of the arrivals was Mrs. Ranga Iyer, the wife
of Sri Bhagavan's boyhood friend at Tiruchuzhi. She brought two ladies with her and introduced them to Sri Bhagavan. Sri Bhagavan
asked her: "Has Ranga come?" and she said 'No'.

In the afternoon she sang. After singing three songs from Ramana Stuti Panchakam, she sang a song from Ramanamritam.
Sri Bhagavan called G.V. Subbaramiah and told him 'This is from the songs composed by Ranga Iyer's son, celebrating "my
marriage"** . GVS. came and told me this and I told him that the author was the old lady's son and she was Ranga Iyer's wife.

(** Ramanamritam or Sri Ramana Kalyanam is a collection of songs written by Ranga Iyer's son, describing Sri Bhagavan's
'marriage' with Jnana!  I bought this small booklet in the Asramam, (an old edition with no reprint.). This describes the marriage
functions as in  a Brahmin's family, in detail and is a wonderful imagination.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2013, 12:38:15 PM »
29.05.1946:

Mr. Bose, inter alia asked some questions on mithya and maya. Sri Bhagavan said: Kaivalya Navaneetam has asked and answered
six questions about maya. They are instructive.

1. What is Maya? And the answer is: It is anirvachaniya, or indescribable.

2. To whom does it come? And the answer is: To the mind or ego who feels that he is separate entity, who thinks, 'I do this'
or 'this is mine'.

3. Where does it come from and how did it originate?  And the answer is: Nobody can say.

4. If the Self and Maya both exist, does not this invalidate the theory of advaita? The answer is, it need not, since Maya is dependent
on the Self as the picture is on the screen. The picture is not real in the sense that the screen is real.

5. How did Maya arise? The answer is: Due to non vichara, through failure to ask, Who am I?   

6. If the Self and Maya are one, could it not be argued that the Self is the nature of maya, that is illusory? The answer is: No. The Self is
capable of producing illusion without being illusory. A conjuror may create for our entertainment the illusion for people, animals, and things, and we see all of them clearly as we see him. But after the performance he alone remains and all the visions he had created have disappeared. He is not a part of illusion, but is real and solid.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »
31.05.1946:

Mr. Phillips, an Englishman who used to be a missionary and is now a teacher and who has been about 20 years in Hyderabad,
came this morning.  He said, 'I lost my son in the war. What is the way for his salvation?'

Sri Bhagavan was silent for a  while and then replied: 'Your worry is due to thinking. Anxiety is the creation of the mind.
Your real nature is peace. Peace has not to be achieved. It is our nature. To find consolation, you may reflect, 'God gave,
God has taken away, He knows best.' But the true remedy is to inquire into your true nature. It is because you feel that your
son does not exist that you feel grief. If you knew that that the source of grief is mental and not an actual reality.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2013, 03:29:47 PM »
01.06.1946:

When Bhagavan returned from His morning walk, at about 7.45 am. the attendant Sivananda offered to massage His legs.
Bhagavan forbade him and said, 'If I let them they go on massaging for a long time. This morning too, at parayana, I did not
let them. They begin with the parayana and don't stop till it is finished, and sometimes, I am unaware of it.'

G.V, Subbaramiah: Bhagavan once told me that Bhagavan is aware of the beginning of parayana and knows nothing more till
the end of it.

Bhagavan: Yes. It often happens that I hear the beginning and then the end and have been absorbed so that I have lost count
of time, in between. And then I have wondered whether they have left out whole passages to get to the end so soon.

Bhagavan continued: So it happens at the time of massaging too. So now I am not going to let them. I will do it myself. So saying,
Bhagavan took the liniment and rubbed it over His knees.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2013, 10:14:41 AM »
01.06.1946:

K.M. Jivrajani:  In the early stages would it not be a help to man to seek solitude and give up his outer duties in life?

Bhagavan: Renunciation is always in the mind, not in going to forests or solitary places or giving up one's duties.
The main thing is to see that the mind does not turn outward but inward. It does not really rest with a man whether
he goes to this place or that or whether he gives up his duties or not. All that happens according to destiny. All the'
activities that the body is to go through are determined when it first comes into existence. It does not rest with you to
accept or reject them. The only freedom you have is to turn your mind inward and renounce activities there.

K.M. Jivrajani: But is it not possible for something to be a help, especially to a beginner? Like a fence around a young tree.
For instance, don't books say that it is helpful to go on pilgrimage to sacred shrines or to get satsangh.

Bhagavan: Who said they are not helpful. Only such things do not rest with you, as turning your mind inward does. Many
people desire the pilgrimage or satsangh that you mention, but do they all get it?

K.M. Jivrajani: Why is it that turning the mind inward alone is left to us and not any outer things?

I* answered:  Nobody can answer that. That is the Divine scheme.

Bhagavan: If you want to go to fundamentals, you must inquire who you are and find out who it is who has freedom  or destiny.
who are you and why did you get this body that has these limitations?

(* Devaraja Mudaliar)

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
03.06.1946:

G.V. SUBBARAMIAH: Did Subramania Bharati ever come to Bhagavan?

Bhagavan: I think he did once. It was when we were on the Hill. One evening when only Sivayya (the late Mouni Swami of KuRRalam)
who is dead now, was with me. Someone came and sat for nearly an hour before me and then went away without saying a word.
Later, when I saw pictures of Bharati, I thought it must have been he.   

GVS: Was it Sivayya who beat a monkey and the monkey was so grieved that it went and drowned itself?

Bhagavan: No. It was someone else. And the monkey was not even beaten, it was only scolded. Even that was more than it could
stand and it went and drowned itself very soon after.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2013, 12:42:22 PM »
03.06.1946:

later.....

After this, the talk turned around to some of the famous or notable persons who had visited Bhagavan. Speaking of the late
Maharaja of Mysore, Bhagavan said: He came and stayed quietly and then  went away.

Some of us asked Bhagavan whether the Maharaja asked any questions, Bhagavan said, 'No, no, nothing of the sort.'

I said, I have heard that he asked for Bhagavan's blessings to be able to rule his subjects to their best advantage, or something like
that.

Bhagavan: Yes. He asked for blessing on his work. He said 'I can't serve you, as those here are privileged to, but still I crave
your grace.' or something lie that. Apart from that he did not discuss anything with me.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2013, 01:23:10 PM »
08.06.1946:

T.P. Ramachandra Iyer, G.V. Subbaramiah and some others went in a party today to Gurumoortham, the mango orchard nearby,
Ayyankulam tank, Arunagiri Natha Temple, Patala lingam temple, the Vahana Mantapam (The hall for vehicles of Siva), the iluppai
tree within the Big Temple -- all the places where Sri Bhagavan stayed in His early days. When they got back in the evening, Sri
Bhagavan asked them about their expedition and they said that it was very enjoyable and that at Ayyankulam, and on the way back,
from there they sang in ecstasy, Viswamoorthi taking the lead in singing and in rousing them to ecstasy.

Sri Bhagavan said that the marks left on the wall at Gurumoortham by His leaning against it and so also the first writing in charcoal
for Uddandi Nayanar, could still be discerned if the whitewash were scrapped off. They said that the whole place was now filled
with bundles of tobacco so that they could not even see the corner where Sri Bhagavan used to it.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2013, 10:08:44 AM »
06.06.1946:

In the afternoon, G.V. Subbaramiah asked: What is the difference between 'manasa japa' and dhyana?

Bhagavan: They are the same. In both, the mind is concentrated on one thing, the mantra or the Self. Mantra, Japa, dhayan ---
are only different names. So long as they require effort we call them by names, but when the Self is realized this goes without
effort and what was the means becomes the goal.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2013, 04:07:13 PM »
10.06.1946:

Dr. Haridas, a disciple of Swami Madhava Tirtha, and a relative of Mahatma Gandhi by marriage, asked Sri Bhagavan:

If Ajnana is also Brahman, why is Brahman not visible but only ajnana or the world?

Sri Bhagavan: Brahman is not to be seen or known. It is beyond the triputis (triads) of seer, seen and act of seeing. Or knower,
knowledge or knowing. The Reality means ever as it is. That there is ajnana or the world is due to our moham, or illusion. Neither
knowledge nor ignorance, is real. It is neither light nor darkness. but beyond both. Though we may sometimes have to speak of it
as light and of ignorance as its shadow.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »
13.06.1946:

An ascetic claiming to be a native of Bhagdad, naked, keeping silent and holding his right arm permanently aloft in the air, has
been staying in Palakottu, since 11th (June 1946). He claims to have been with Sai Baba for 25 years. If this is true he must be
at least 65 now, though he looks only 30 or 35. He met Sri Bhagavan this morning when  Bhagavan was returning from His
morning walk and asked for Bhagavan's blessings. I went to see him out of curiosity. He sent the following question to Bhagavan
through Ramasubba Iyer. "What is my future?"

First Bhagavan said "Why does he bother about the future and not the present?' Later, He added: Tell him his future will be
as his present is."

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2013, 10:28:22 AM »
15.06.1946:

When I entered the Hall in the evening, Bhagavan was saying, 'Everything we see is changing, always changing. There must
be something unchanging as the basis and source of all this.'

GVS: What justification have we for imagining that the source of all this must be unchanging?

Bhagavan: It is not mere thinking or imagining that the "I" is unchanging. It is a fact of which everyone is aware. The "I" \
exists in sleep when all the changing things do not exist. It exists in dream, and in waking. The "I" remains changeless
in all these states while the other things come and go.

Dr. S. Mani, Asst. Director of Public Health, at Madras, a frequent visitor, asked Sri Bhagavan, "But why should these things,
that is the world, appear?

Bhagavan: To whom does it appear? You see and so the world exists. Does it exist independently of the seer? Does it come
and tell you, "I exist"?  What proof is there of its existence except that you say you see or perceive it?

Another visitor said to Bhagavan: I want to have darshan of God. What should I do?

Bhagavan: First we must know what you mean by "I" and 'God' and by 'darshan' of God.

The visitor dropped the matter and said no more.

Arunachala Siva.