Author Topic: Direct Teaching of Bhagavan Ramana:  (Read 14492 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Direct Teaching of Bhagavan Ramana:
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2013, 08:37:20 AM »
BOUQUET OF BEATITUDE:

continues.....

"Bhagavan says that sadhana must be done to discard all such bad things. But the mind itself is inert and cannot do anything
by itself. Chaitanya is achalam - non moving. and so will not do anything.  Then how to perform sadhana?" someone asked.

Sri Bhagavan replied: "Oho ! But how do are you able to talk now?"

"Swami, I do not understand that and that is why I ask for enlightnement." he said.

Bhagavan replied: "All right. Then please listen. The mind which is inert is able to achieve anything by the force of its contract,
sAnnidhya bala (the strength of proximity) with Chaitanya, which is achala.  But without the aid of Chaitanya, the inert mind cannot
accomplish anything by itself. Chaitanya being immobile, cannot accomplish anything without the help of the mind. It is relationship
of abhinna bhAvam, one dependent on he other and inseparable. That is why elders discussed this matter from various angles and
came to the conclusion that the mind is chit-jada-atmakam.  We have to say that the combination of Chit (Self) and Jada (inert)
produces action."

Bhagavan has written nicely about this chit-jada-granthi in his Ulladu Narpadu, Verse 24, as follows:

"The body does  not say 'I'.  The Atman is not born.  In between, the feeling "I" is born in the whole body.  Whatever name you
give it that is chit-jada-granthi, and also bondage and samsaram."

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2013, 08:49:04 AM »
BOUQUET OF BEATITUDE:

continues....

Lady:  Bhagavan! How can one attain the Self?

Bhagavan:  Why should you attain the Self?

Ladu: For shanti (peace)/

Bhagavan: So ! Is that it?  Then there is what is called peace, is there?

Lady:  Yes !  There is.

Bhagavan: All right!  And you know that you should attain it. How do you know?  To know that, you must have experienced it at
some time or other.  It is only when one knows that sugarcane is sweet, that one wishes to have some. Similarly, you must have
experienced peace. You experience it now and then.  Otherwise, why this longing for peace?  In fact, we find every human being is
longing similarly for peace.  Peace of some kind. It is therefore obvious that peace is the real thing, the Reality. Call that shanti, soul,
or Paramatma or Self -- whatever you like.  We all want it;  don't we?

Lady: Yes ! But how to attain it? 

Bhagavan: What you have got is Shanti itself. What can I say if someone asks for something which he has already got?  If it is
anything to be brought from somewhere, effort is required. The mind with all its activities has come between you and your Self.
What you have to do now is to get rid of that.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2013, 08:38:21 AM »
BOUQUET OF BEATITUDE:

continues.....

"Swami, it is all right if we sit up for meditation with closed eyes; but if we keep them open, the outer senses give trouble.
What should we do?"

Bhagavan: What happens even if the eyes are kept open?  It is enough if you make the mind sleep just like your sleeping in
a house, keeping the windows open.

Devotee: That means the mind should be kept away from worldly affairs.  However much we try, we are not able to control the mind/

Bhagavan:  Yes, that is true.  That is why it is said that when a child tries to catch its own shadow, by running after it, and weeps
when unable to do so, the mother comes and prevents it from running.  So also the mind should be prevented from running away.

Devotee: By what method can that be prevented?

Bhagavan: The mind should be held by hearing, and meditating on the sayings of the Vedanta and thereby prevent it from going astray.

Devotee: That means, you must give up worldly pleasures and catch hold of Atma Ananda.  Is that so?

Bhagavan: Ananda always exists.  It is only the worldly things that have to be given up. If they are given up, what remains is only
Ananda, Bliss. That which IS, is the Self.  Where is the question of catching that which IS ? That is one's own nature, swabhava.

Devotee: Is that nature also called Swarupa (the Self)? 

Bhagavan: Yes. There is no difference between the two.

Devotee: If it is said that Ananda is the Self itself, who is it that experiences it?

Bhagavan:  That is the point. So long as there is one who experiences, it shall have to be stated, that Ananda is the Self itself.
When there is no one to experience, where is the question of a form for Ananda?  Only that which IS remains. What IS, is Ananda.
That is the Self.  So long as the feeling that the Self is different from oneself persists, there will be one who inquires and experiences,
but when one realizes the Self, there will be no one to experience. Who is there to ask?  What is there to say?  In common parlance,
however, we shall have top say that Bliss is the Self or is our Real Nature, Swarupa.

Devotee: That is all right, Swami.  But however much we try, this mind does not get under control and envelops the Swarupa so that
it is not perceptible to us. What is to be done?

Bhagavan with a smile, placed His little finger over His eye and said:  Look. This little finger covers the eye and prevents the whole
world from being seen.  In the same way, this small mind covers the whole universe and prevents the Brahman from being seen.
See how powerful it is !

Arunachala Siva.                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2013, 08:43:12 AM »
BOUQUET OF BEATITUDE:

continues....

A Pandit asked, "Life itself becomes extremely hard in some places.  How is one to perform Sadhana in such places?"

Bhagavan replied:  "The place is within you.  You are not in the place. When you are in all places, where is the question of
difficulties in some places and not in others? All are within yourself. How can they cause you difficulties?"

"But we get no peace of mind at all in some places.", he protested and Sri Bhagavan replied:  "That which always exists is Peace.
That is your natural state.  You are not able to recognize your natural state, you get deluded by aberrations which are unreal and
feel sorry that there is no peace. If you realize your Self, all places will become suitable for Sadhana."

"As you know we undoubtedly exist.  The world also exists as Brahman.  That being so, what is there that one could see as
Brahman?  We should make our vision as the all pervading Brahman. Ancients say, 'Drshtim Jnanamayim Kritva Pasyeth Brahmamamayam Jagat.'  The world is as we see it.  If we see it as material, it is material.  If we see it as Brahman, it is Brahman.
That is why we must change our outlook.  Can you see the picture, in a film, without the screen?  If we remain as we are,
everything adjusts itself to that attitude."

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2013, 08:43:44 AM »
BOUQUET OF BEATITUDE:

continues.....

A retired judge of ripe old age said, 'Swamiji, I should also be given my share of service to the feet of the Guru.'

To this Bhagavan replied:  'Oh really?  Atma vai guruhu (Service to the Self is service to Guru.)  You are now 70 years of age.
You to do service to me?  Enough of that !  At least from now onwards, serve yourself.  It is more than enough, if you remain
quiet.'

Sri Bhagavan was relating His experiences in Madurai of he vision of death, 'In the vision of death, though all the senses were
benumbed, the aham sphurana (Self awareness) was clearly evident, and so I realized that it was that awareness that we call 'I',
and not the body.  This Self awareness never decays.  It is unrelated to anything.  It is Self luminous. Even if this body is burnt,
it will not be affected.  Hence, I realized on that very day so clearly that that was "I".

Part I - concluded.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2013, 08:50:28 AM »
BOUQUET OF BEATITUDE:

Part II:

(Excerpts from Fragrant Petals)

Bhagavam Ramana set before us, as the glory and goal of life, the realization of the full Divine Consciousness of our Self.
The Self is not something to be created or attained, but which is fully aware of itself with an awareness that that can neither
begin nor end, as it is eternal.  He proclaimed the Absolute as the Self, "I AM" in each individual life, ever being itself.  Such a
realization endows everyone ultimately with Pure Consciousness, a state of impersonality, timelessness, spacelessness, cause-
lessness, freedom and peace. He was Himself, a testimony for such an august revelation that always stands at the very doorstep
of one and all. Sri Ramana awakens in every one of us the dormant Divinity.

To know Bhagavan is to be Bhagavan Himself.  Because, Knowing is Being and Being is Knowing.

- Swami Rajeswarananda.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2013, 08:52:57 AM »
BOUQUET OF BEATITUDE:

Part II:

continues....

The essence of what Bhagavan said to me in my talks with Him was:  "You say that on final analysis all that I see or think
or do is one; but that reality comprises two notions; the all that is seen and the  I that does the seeing, thinking and doing,
and says, 'I'. Which of these two is the more real, true and important?  Obviously the seer, since the seen is dependent on it.
So turn your attention to the seer who is the source of your 'I' and realize that. This is the real task.  Up to now you have been
studying the object, not the subject.  Now find out for what reality this word 'I' stands.  Find the entity which is the source of the
expression 'I'. That is the self, the Self of all selves."

"This direct and simple teaching was like a tonic to me. It swept away the unrest and confusion that till then haunted my mind.
It is, of course, the essence of Ulladu Narpadu and the central theme of all Bhagavan's writings. The simplicity of it made me
burst out:  "Then Bhagavan, Self Realization is very easy, just as you say in the poem Atma Vidya!"

Bhagavan smiled and said:  "Yes, yes, it seems so at first, but there is difficulty too. You have to overcome your present false
values and wrong identification.  Therefore the quest requires concentrated effort and steadfast abidance in the source when
this is reached."

However, even while warning me, he also added words of solace. "But don't let that deter you. The rise of the urge to seek for
the "I" is itself an act of Divine Grace.  Once the urge gets hold of you, you are in its clutches.  The grip of Divine Grace never
relaxes and finally devours you, just as the prey in a tiger's jaws is never allowed to escape."

-- G.L.N.

continued....

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2013, 08:16:36 AM »
BOUQUET OF BEATITUDE:

Part II: continues......

Once four ladies came to Sri Ramanasramam to have darshan of Sri Ramana.  They belonged to different nationalities ----
one was an American, one an Italian, one French and the fourth, an Indian Christian.  They sat in the prayer hall near the
southern wall  right in front of Sri Bhagavan, after duly paying their respects to Him. The American lady began the conversation,
putting questions to Him and getting answers which were interpreted by a devotee in the Hall. In the end the American lady asked
Bhagavan:  'Can we have your Grace for our spiritual development?'  Sri Bhagavan replied:  'If you had not the Grace, you would
not have thought of coming here.'  What an encouraging reply !  No one who came to His presence ever went away discouraged.
To an earnest inquirer, He would always say: 'You are already That, only the veil of ignorance has to be removed.'

Swami Vivekananda used to tell his followers: 'Don't believe the self possessed teacher who says, 'I see, you cannot see.'
Sri Bhagavan never observed any secrecy with to His teachings.

His attitude was plain and always encouraging. He would say: 'You are already Real and you are not going to realize anything
new.  Your effort must be directed towards, removing the veil of ignorance by inquiry.'

Now to return to the visitors, the American lady said:  'Bhagavan!  I am going back to America.  Will you come there?'
Bhagavan with a smile on His face and in a tone expressing certainty replies: 'I am already there. I am above time and space.'

-C.V. Subramania Iyer

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2013, 08:25:45 AM »
BOUQUET OF BEATITUDE:

Part II - continues.....

Ramdas addressed Sri Ramana thus:  'Maharaj, here stands before thee a humble slave. Have pity on him. His only prayer
to thee is to give him thy blessing.'

The Maharshi turned His beautiful eyes towards Ramdas and looked intently for a few minutes into his eyes, as though
He was pouring into Ramdas His blessing through the orbs, then shook His head to say He had blessed. A thrill of inexpressible
joy coursed through the frame of Ramdas, his whole body quivering like a leaf in the breeze.....

Ramdas went to Ramana Maharshi in a state of complete obliviousness of the world. He felt thrills of ecstasy in His presence.
The Maharshi made the awakening permanent in Ramdas. Some people told Ramdas:  'You went to Maharshi and you got
illumination.  Give us illumination like that.'

Ramdas said: 'You must come to Ramdas in the same spirit and in the same state as he went to the Maharshi.  Then you will
also get  it. Where was his Heart?  How intense was his longing?  What was the world to him at that time?  If you come in that
state, it is all right.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2013, 08:30:26 AM »

BOUQUET OF BEATITUDE:

Part II: continues.....

As Jnaneshwar, the premier Sage-poet of Maharashtra asked for a boon at the end of his celebrated commentary on the
Bhagavad Gita, in the same strain I also asked my Bhagavan the following boon in the words (song) of Sage Sohiroba, not
for me alone, but for all devotees present in the Hall and all others elsewhere. I first explained the song in English and, then
sang:

"Oh Bhagavan, if you are going to give us anything, give us this --- our ego should vanish, our sight (vision) should be focused
on the Self, thought should drop, and the world should be no more.   May we get natural happiness which depends not on the
forms and objects of senses. As salt is dissolved in water, our mind should be merged in the Self."  Sohiroba further says that
the life of him who has no body consciousness and world consciousness is completely merged in the Infinite Consciousness.

Hearing this Bhagavan was mightily pleased. He stretched himself up and in a loud voice proclaimed:  "Take, take as much as
you like. Get in, get in."  The features of Sri Bhagavan at this time were a sight for the Gods to see. Had there been an expert
photographer present then, he could have taken a nice snap shot.  As for myself, I shall forget the joyful, happy and shining
features of Sri Bhagavan at that time.

How to Get In?

In the month of March 1949, I availed myself of an opportunity to go to Sri Ramanasramam in  connection with the consecration
ceremony of the newly built Holy Mother's temple. I then asked Sri Bhagavan: 'How to get in and stay there when we get in?'
Sri Bhagavan laughed, looked at me and answered: 'Leave out the body consciousness (the idea that I am the body) and then
where is 'in' and where is 'out'?  All life consciousness is One, throughout.' What a fine and beautiful answer !

N.V. Gunaji.

Arunachala Siva.