Author Topic: Direct Teaching of Bhagavan Ramana:  (Read 14494 times)

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
Re: Direct Teaching of Bhagavan Ramana:
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 01:20:57 PM »
Devotee: Is solitude helpful for practice?

Maharshi: What do you mean by solitude?

Devotee: To keep away from others.

Maharshi: Why should it be done? It is actuated only fear. Even in  solitude there is the fear of intrusion by others and
of solitude being spoilt. Moreover, how are thoughts to be erased in solitude? Should it not be done in the present environment?

Devote: But the mind is distracted now.

Maharshi: Why do you let go the mind? Solitude amounts to making the mind still. This can be done in a crowd too. Solitude
cannot efface one's thoughts. Practice does it. The same practice can be made here too.

See to whom and what Bhagavan is saying. He is telling a devotee and not to a realized person.
and he is saying something significant.
Solitude, if it comes, it comes.
If there is no solitude its fine too.
A person who tries to change the circumstances is not meditating.
A meditating person is he who sees HimSelf in all circumstances.
When i try to change the "External", its not meditation.
Because Circumstances get so popped up that the circumstances will go againt the person!
Here , Now... Be.
Thats all one can do.
Harih OM!
http://www.selfabidance.blogspot.in/

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 01:53:39 PM »
See to whom and what Bhagavan is saying. He is telling a devotee and not to a realized person.

He is neither telling it to the devotee in the book or the case or to a realized personl, he is telling it to you - who ever is reading it at that moment. This must be clear.

It is important to note the view of the devotee in the question -

Devotee: Is solitude helpful for practice?
Maharshi: What do you mean by solitude?
Devotee: To keep away from others.

The whole point is to bring to light the flaw of generalizing the wisdom. Each person is different, with different background, what holds true for one need not be true for the others.

Let me bring into light Talks 107, Swami Paramahamsa Yogananda:

Later the Yogi asked: How is the spiritual uplift of the people to be
effected? What are the instructions to be given them?

M.: They differ according to the temperaments of the individuals and
according to the spiritual ripeness of their minds. There cannot be
any instruction

Solitude, if it comes, it comes.
If there is no solitude its fine too.
Because Circumstances get so popped up that the circumstances will go againt the person!
Here , Now... Be.
Thats all one can do.

In your above thoughts, you are talking about yourself, that is how it is to you. To take that it is the same for others too, so to tell repeatedly to do the same as you, is the mistake in your approach here.

For you, it may be so that Here Now, you Be, thats all you see, you can possibly do. Similarly, when you say -

That other person, you are referring to in your reflection is verily yourself. This ought to be realised. When this is discerned, you wouldn't strive so much to put across your view with rather a push. You let things be, and allow the nature to takes its course in everybody.

The above observations are your own self, who has seen it. Where from is this push your own reflection on others has arisen?

Here , Now... Be.
Thats all one can do.

When that is all it is one can do, does it not strike to you, each time, when you come about and push your discernment on others, you are ceasing from Being, and pouring water in sky? to fall back on yourself? aren't you doing it on avidya?

why can't you just be with your reflection? This ought to be reflected and contemplated upon, that has to be sought.

मनश्चेन्न लग्नं गुरोरंघ्रिपद्मे ततः किं ततः किं ततः किं ततः किम् ।।

Manaschenna lagnam Gurorangri padme, Thatha kim Thathah Kim, Thathah kim Thathah kim

If the mind does not remain at the Lotus feet of Guru, What is the use? What is the use? What is the use!!

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 02:14:20 PM »
Friends,
Here is an excerpt from Guru Ramana by s.s .cohen:
"Three years, I said, had passed since that griha-pravesham day, years of great soul-searching, of incessant attempts to
penetrate the Master’s mind, of reflection, study, meditation, and what not; years of extreme efforts to adjust myself to the
entirely new conditions of life, of physical and psychical strain.They were admittedly intense years, in fact so intense, that I
then felt that I must quit immediately, and informed the Master accordingly.
“Bhagavan,” I said on a day then near my hut, “I feel a strong urge to go on a yatra (pilgrimage) to the South –
Chidambaram, Srirangam, Rameshwaram ...,” but lo! a look on Bhagavan’s face struck me forcibly with the thought “Yatra!
what for? Are you still in doubt?” I instantly remembered his words of long ago: “Where is the room for doubt?” and, as if
in reply to a verbal question from him, I continued: “No, Bhagavan, now I feel that I need a change for some months,
which I intend spending in Hindu holy places.”
He smiled approval and enquired about the date and time of my starting,
and whether I had made arrangements for my stay in the various places I was to visit
. Extremely touched by his
solicitude, I answered that I was going as a sadhu, trusting to chance for accommodation.
For three months thereafter I lay on a mat in Cape Comorin, immensely relieved of the mental tension which
the Master’s physical form had caused me. In solitude I plunged in reflections on his blissful silence and calm repose.
The stillness of his mind haunted me everywhere I went – in the beautiful, gem-like temple of the youthful Virgin Goddess,
on the shores of the vast blue ocean around me and the sand dunes, in the fishing villages and the endless stretches of
coconut groves, which ran along the seashore and the interior of the Cape. I felt his influence in the depths of my soul and
cried: “O Bhagavan, how mighty you are and how sublime and all-pervasive is the immaculate purity of your mind! With
what tender emotions do we, your disciples, think of your incomparable qualities, your gentleness; your serene, adorable
countenance; your cool, refreshing smiles; the sweetness of the words that come out of your mouth; the radiance of your
all-embracing love; your equal vision towards one and all, even towards diseased stray animals!”

Seeking Solitude to 'get away from others' is different than seeking solitude for contemplation and ripening of Sadhana.
No wonder that Sri Bhagavan guides people as per their genuine need.
Namaskar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 02:20:13 PM »
Seeking Solitude to 'get away from others' is different than seeking solitude for contemplation and ripening of Sadhana.
No wonder that Sri Bhagavan guides people as per their genuine need.
Namaskar

Ravi

That sums it up very well .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 02:25:10 PM »
Friends,

I am reminded about this wonderful expression of Gregory of Nyssa, a 4th century christian saint:

When I see every hill top, every valley, every plain covered with fresh sprung grass, and then the various array of the trees, and at my feet the lilies, doubly furnished by nature, both with pleasant and with beauty of colour; where in the distance I behold the sea, to which the wondering cloud leads the way, my mind is siezed by a melancholy which is not without happiness; and and when in autumn the fruits disappear, the leaves fall and the boughs are left bare, we are absorbed in the thought of the eternal and continously recurring change in the accord of the marvellous forces of nature. Whoever apprehends this with this intelligent eyes of the soul, feels the littleness of man compared with the greatness of the universe.

Manaschenna lagnam Gurorangri padme, Thatha kim Thathah Kim, Thathah kim Thathah kim

If the mind does not remain at the Lotus feet of Guru, What is the use? What is the use? What is the use!!

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 04:00:41 PM »
Dear Friends, When this  subject is in mind,i think that we all are only defending our own way of practice and living. That is natural. The way i see and feel it,Bhagavan is saying only this - Dont wait for special apangments to dive inward. Dont depend on circoumstances,wherever you are,dont try to change it,USE IT. You are not the one who is affected. That is the whole point! Dont be attached to anything,solitude too,or not solitude. It doasnt matter.-  It is His will anyway. If it is solitude good,if it is not,again good. Surrend. Thats the way i see it,and we all should do what ever He show us to do. With love and prayers,
Love

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 04:20:24 PM »
Solitude,or not,it is not something we can chose,no matter how much we try. We can go anywhere,but we cannot run away from us. We cary our mind with us. For someone is good to be alone,and for others is not. But,the whole point is to face with our own mind,were ever we are. With love and prayers,
Love

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 04:26:41 PM »
Sri Jewel, and friends,

just in a lighter vein, :) ultimately, what you have expressed also becomes your own way and practice which you have expressed, which also amounts to defending our own way of practice and living :D

it becomes an endless cycle, then, is it not? then there would be no scope of exchanges at all. Infact, this expression of yours has come from profound insight, discerning the futility of reasoning, each one ultimately converses with oneself alone, and it is absolutely not possible to share knowledge, knowledge has to sprout from within, knowledge is not something that can be given or taken. that was the essence that was being communicated in the series of exchanges now and in the past. you have come to right conclusions, which i truly believe is in line with the teachings of Sri Ramana, Sri Ramakrishna, the Knowledge scriptures, and others. we now realise, what good it is in presenting our views, who presents the views and who receives it? when such flashes occur from within, we just want to keep quiet and surrender, knowing how little we are, how small we are.

When the amrit manthan happened, in the ocean, when the devas and asuras churned the ocean, both poisons and nectar sprang forth, and only in the end, only finally, the nectar came. When the churning is happening, many things come up, but the true disciple ignores the semi divine wonderful things that spring from the churning and stay put with the real purpose, the ultimate truth.

It may also seem all are saying the same truth, but in their own way, but true disciple realises and stops not with this, he surrenders and gives up!!! all is maya.

:)

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 04:42:33 PM »
"when such flashes occur from within, we just want to keep quiet and surrender, knowing how little we are, how small we are."

with all due respect, dear Nagaraj,
May I ask, then what stops you from keeping quiet ?
I do not agree with this, so I am writing and conveying something.
But if you believe this, why do you still continue to write?
Harih OM!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 04:46:50 PM »
Bingo, I knew, you would ask this, :D

my answer: "I do not know", i am comfortable in saying this so, all that i surely know is the fact of my not knowing! This much I can vouch safe clearly! However I am prompted to present the below words of a great Sage and I believe He is doing so. That is faith!

O Mother, what a machine is this that Thou hast made! What pranks Thou playest with this toy Three and a half cubits high!

God alone is the Doer. I say: 'O Lord, I do as Thou doest through me. I speak as Thou speakest through me. I am the machine and Thou art the Operator. I am the house and Thou art the Indweller. I am the engine and Thou art the Engineer.'

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »
Bingo is that brand of chips right, like lays chips ?
Harih OM!

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 06:59:01 PM »
when you BELIEVE you are a separate person you are already in solitude from " others " .
what is really surrendered in realizing truth is the story of the self , the BELIEF that you are a separate person .
what stops us from being quiet is fear of truth , because to the mind , truth , which the mind sees as nothingness , is death , so it avoids it by telling stories about things .

there was a farmer had a dog and Bingo was his name oh
B - i - n - g - o    B - i - n - g - o    B - i - n - g - o
and Bingo was his name oh

;D
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 07:06:07 PM »
what stops us from being quiet is fear of truth , because to the mind , truth , which the mind sees as nothingness , is death , so it avoids it by telling stories about things .

Where is fear Beloved Abstract? and Where is death? where is nothingness and where is the mind? what is avoided? and who tells stories about things?

IN the same line as you have expressed -

when you BELIEVE you are a separate person you are already in solitude from " others " .
what is really surrendered in realizing truth is the story of the self , the BELIEF that you are a separate person .

So long you believe in stories, stories you will see, the belief that you are seeing and telling stories, makes you see things as stories!

When you are able to see the Stories as the not yours, but His, all stories ceases! Or when you are able to see the stories not different from the Self, all stories cease!

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 07:49:05 PM »
So long you believe in stories, stories you will see, the belief that you are seeing and telling stories, makes you see things as stories!

good story.
Harih OM!

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2012, 07:57:02 PM »
lol     :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it