Author Topic: Direct Teaching of Bhagavan Ramana:  (Read 14338 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Direct Teaching of Bhagavan Ramana:
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2013, 10:28:34 AM »
THE ALL IMPORTANT SCIENCE:

Each one of us longs ever to be happy, untainted by sorrow. Also, one can seek only that which is known already. It is quite evident
that one has the greatest love for oneself only. Can it not be thus derived that happiness is one's real nature and that is the reason
why one only loves oneself deeply? So, it is essential that one should know oneself to realize that inherent and untainted happiness
which surges from within. For obtaining such Self Knowledge the inquiry, Who am I?, the quest for the Self is the best means, says
Bhagavan Ramana.

To discover the truth about oneself Sri Bhagavan said, one had to delve within and seek the source of all one's activities. If  the
Truth is not within oneself, He said, then the Truth definitely cannot be found outside. To drive home this vital point, Sri Bhagavan
never indulged in jargon or polemics. He referred to one's daily experiences. No one can say, 'I do not exist'. I don't  what is sleep,
dream, hunger, thirst,' and so on. By drawing one's attention to such common experiences, He made one realize that one is nothing
but the truth.

Every one refers to himself as "I" only. The entire population, millions and millions, all the time says, referring each to themselves,
'I', only 'I'. Are there so many million I's? Conversely there is only one 'I' by which countless number of bodies are referred to! Is it
not so strange that the mind boggling multiplicity is reduced to one single syllable! Yes. The 'I' is a symbol which stands for something
immeasurably vaster and wider than itself.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2013, 08:37:03 AM »

CONTINUES.....

What is this 'I'? In the body, which is insentient, there arises a sense of alertness, a sensation of 'I'. It is termed 'mind'.
Bhagavan Ramana says that if one investigates the nature of the mind, it is seen to be a bundle of thoughts. On scrutiny
as to what remains after eliminating all thoughts, it will be found that there is no such thing as mind apart from thoughts.
Mind, is therefore, a function wherein the 'I' acts as the basis for all thoughts. All thoughts are related to 'I'. Every thought
is either about oneself or connected with oneself as individuals, objects, things, events, or opinions. All these are rooted in
one as 'I'. Thus the 'I' in each one is only an 'I'-thought, the ground for the entire gamut of countless thoughts.

Everyday, the first thought on waking from sleep, is this 'I"-thought. In sleep you do not know anything, including the 'I' with which
you refer to yourself. This 'I' or 'I' thought completely subsides in deep sleep, along with its chain of other thoughts. If we further
observe carefully, it will be seen that the last thought to 'set' before deep sleep is this 'I' thought. Where does this 'I' set and where
from does this 'I' arise? To find out the source into which the 'I' merges and from which the 'I' again rises, we have the assured help
of Sri Bhagavan. He guides us further on by pointing out that the 'I' in truth has no beginnings or endings. It continues unbroken
even in deep sleep when the apparent sense of 'I', as we know it in waking, disappears. We can say so with certainty because we do
not feel any gap in our existence when we wake up. On the other hand, we declare that we slept well. Hence, that which is, even
when the waking 'I' or the 'I'-thought is not, is our real nature. It is called the Self.  Sri Bhagavan calls it the 'I'-'I', to denote that it
is unbroken, that it ever is, unlike the 'I' thought which comes and goes.,

continued.... 

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2013, 08:43:45 AM »

continues...

By the powerful quest of Who am I? one realizes that one is actually the screen on which the film of actions and experiences come
and go. The pictures in the movies have a beginning and an end, but the screen on which they are projected is unchanging and eternal.
Sri Ramana said that the feeling of 'I' is everyone's experience. This is the ground on which the states of waking, dream and deep
sleep come and go.

The path of Self enquiry is to hold on to the 'I', transcending all the differing states of experience. To be -- to remain as the unchanging 'I' at all times --- Sri Ramana Maharshi said, is to be the Truth. There is no Truth apart from Being. To achieve that, intuitive analysis of one's own experience of waking, dream and deep sleep is essential.

A dialogue recorded between Sri Ramana Maharshi and Paul Brunton in 1933, makes this absolutely clear. It is published in Brunton's
resourceful book, A Search In Secret India:

------

Sri Ramana said, 'You say, 'I think'. That means that you are saying it now when you are awake. Anyway, you admit that you exist
in deep sleep, don't you?'

'Yes', answered the seeker, 'but I did not function then.'

Said Maharshi, 'So then, you existed in deep sleep. You are the same one who continues to exists, are you not?'

'Yes', answered the seeker.

'But with this difference', persisted Sri Ramana, 'that you did not function in your sleep. Rather, you are associated with the
thinking faculty in your waking state and you are disassociated from it in sleep. Is it not so?'

'Yes', answered the seeker.

'Which, then, is your real nature?' said the Maharshi, bringing the matter home. 'Is it to be associated with thinking or disassociated
with thinking? Who is the 'I' behind all this? And whose is the ignorance? Answers to these questions will alone suffice to prove that
you are already realized. Is there anyone who denies his own existence? Or anyone who can say that he did not exist in sleep?
Pure Existence is thus admitted. The admission implies consciousness. Thus, all men are realized. There is no ignorant man at all.....

'In your deep sleep you were not confined to your body, but persisted as pure existence, your own true nature. Now in your waking
state, you continue to be the same existence with the limitations of the body added. These limitations make you see other objects.
Hence desires arise. But the state of desirelessness in sleep made you no less happy than now. You did not feel any want. You did
not make yourself miserable by not entertaining desires. But now you entertain desires because you limit yourself to this body. Why do you wish to retain these limitations and continue to entertain desires when your pristine Self, as experienced in deep sleep, is always
present? Find out who this Self, this 'I' is. On doing so and abiding as 'I', all doubts and suffering will be cleared up.'

----------

Arunachala Siva.                     

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2013, 09:25:22 AM »
By the enquiry who am I one naturally gets into "amani bhavam" ... mind-less abidance !
Where all thoughts become mere shadows.
That amani bhavam or abidance as Self , without any mind [ie only operational mind, if at all] ... a state where not only there are no desires
but desires do not arise as well :)

This the real beauty of Bhagavan Ramana's teaching :)!
Harih OM!
http://www.selfabidance.blogspot.in/

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2013, 09:42:54 AM »
The All Important Science:

continues.....

It is into our real nature or the Self that the 'I' or the 'I'-thought merges in deep sleep and again comes out daily on waking
since it is its Source. Scriptures too declare that the first Name of God is 'I'!  It is very essential that we observe the 'I'-thought
closely since it is the only link between the body and the Self, spoken of as hidden within us by the scriptures. We can do so
by paying full attention to it and whence it arises. All the time one's attention should unwaveringly be directed to the feeling of
'I' or the 'I' thought. How? When thoughts arised pose the question, 'For whom is this thought?' The answer is 'For me'. Then,
ask 'Who am I?'  Such questioning brings one's full attention on the 'I'. There is no answer to the question 'Who am I?' The keen
attention leads one to one's Source, which is pure Silence. Focusing one's attention is the sole effort one has to put forth to find out
one's own Truth.

Sage Vasishta enliightened  Lord Rama: "Shining in every body as 'I' - 'I' is nothing but the Self on which one has to meditate.....
With the stick of enquiry strike the fierce-looking mind and snake-like senses and make them abide in the Heart (the Source).'

The Self, the Truth, the Silence, the Happiness, the Source, that one seeks to know is thus verily oneself.

'If one enquires as to who one is and what one is, and finds out the Truth, one becomes oneself,' says Bhagavan Sri Ramana in
Letters from Sri Ramanasramam.

When a devotee once put a question to the Maharshi as to what he should do to master this science of the Self, Sri Bhagavan
with a benign smile answered,  "BE AS YOU ARE'.

sub chapter concluded.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2013, 08:16:31 AM »
YOU ARE THAT:

"To tread the path of Self Knowledge is like the walking on a razor's edge."  This famous statement of the scriptures is often
quoted by those who give religious discourses in order to warn and frighten seekers who long to turn the practice of spirituality.

But Sri Bhagavan emphatically asserts:

"Self Knowledge is an easy thing,
The easiest thing there is."

(Atma Vidya Verse 1)

Is it easy or difficult?
It is both!

It is most difficult as long as you cling to your mind and its dictates. Or, rather, if you depend on the mind to help take you to
the region of Self Knowledge: it is incapable of doing it!

Rather, we must reject the mind, ignore its many-tongued voices and transcend its limits by turning within:

then Self Knowledge is the easiest thing there is.

With mind you are far, far away from Self Knowledge, unreachable by the mind.

Without the mind, you are already THAT!

So its easiness or 'most difficult-ness'  depends on 'You'. By itself, spirituality is neither easy nor difficult. Or, to put it in another
way, it is both easy and difficult.

How?

There are five elements: earth, water, fire, air, and ether. Of these, earth is the grossest element. You can see it, touch it, taste it,
feel it, hold it, and smell it. Next is water; it is subtler than earth. Fire is still subtler than water.  Air is much subtler -- so subtle that
you can only feel it on your body; you can neither see nor even feel it! So subtle is it that we must only accept that it it is there as
the all pervading element.

The elements, in their gradations, become ever subtler until ether is reached, an element which we can only admit exists, but cannot
tangibly prove. Thus the subtlest amount of the elements is ether.

Can you imagine? Mind is far subtler than ether, say the Vedas!

continued......

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2013, 08:47:25 AM »
YOU ARE THAT:

continues.....

Mind is nothing but a bundle of thoughts, says Sri Maharshi. So thoughts are much subtler than even ether. Subtler still than
thoughts is the parent-thought, the 'I'-thought, says Sri Bhagavan.

Beyond the 'I'-thought is the Pure Mind, devoid of any thoughts, including the 'I'-thought. This Pure Mind is the basis for the rising
of the 'I'-thought immediately on waking from sleep. It is in the 'form' of brilliance (of course, without form or heat).

Beyond even this brilliance, illumination, light, is the Self - the subtlest of all, the very ground, turiya, on or from which everything
arises and into which everything subsides.

Self alone IS -- the one eternal unvarying ground of all existence. All else is , by definition, neither real nor true. Everything comes and
goes and does not abide beyond time and space, that is, the Mind.

Thus, beyond and transcending the five elements, time, space, and thoughts, and even the 'I'-thought, is THAT, the Self.

Now, picture the place of Mind in this geographical map.

It is the one which is subtler than ether, yet as gross as earth in relation to the Self. See the predicament!

Does not the demand on us to transcend the Mind appear insurmountable, incomprehensible, and therefore impossible?

That is:

We do not even know what ether is. Mind is subtler than ether. Thus, how can we ever hope to get rid of something which we
do not even know?

Accepting the validity of the Upanishadic statement 'it is like walking on a razor's edge', the task does look difficult and, perhaps,
impossible!

Yet, sternly turn your attention to Sri Bhagavan Ramana who confirms again and again that 'it is the easiest'!

The former statement poses it as a problem. Whereas the latter categorically affirms the opposite.

That is:

If you want to try to tackle it as a problem, then the mind becomes all important, predominant, projecting the whole undertaking
as extraordinarily difficult, almost impossible.

continued.....

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2013, 08:52:03 AM »

Continues.....

Reverently turning to the Maharshi, we find the entire issue clarified: 'Raise the question, 'To whom is the problem?'
The answer is 'to me'. Question it further: Who am I? Watch! Immediately, all thoughts stop. When there are no thoughts,
there is no mind. You need no further proof other than your own experience. With proper Self enquiry , there ensues a state
where the mind has voluntarily become inoperative. A state of Silence alone prevails. That Silence is the Self. You are THAT. ---
Tat tvam asi.

See the simplicity of it all. Don't convert 'You are That' into a concept, yet another thought. Experience it as the Reality that is
your core, the imperishable, unchanging ground of your existence. Experiencing (not thinking) is the clue.

All the questions and baffling riddles are raised, reared, prolonged, enriched and fattened only by the mind. In that state of mind,
Self Knowledge is impossible for the simple reason that the mind, so gross, is obstructing it -- a solid iron wall between Self Knowledge
and your vibrantly feeling, Being it.  Where there is mind, THAT  is not felt;  where there is THAT alone, there is no mind!

Truth, Reality is your real Being, devoid of every trace of thought. That is Self. To BE  this Silence, which is Self, is Self Knowledge.
And it is the 'easiest thing, the easiest thing there is,' since what IS is only THAT. 'Simply be is Truth; to be 'this' or 'that' is falsehood,'
said Sri Bhagavan.

continued......

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2013, 08:39:11 AM »
continues....

"To be" (the Self) is the easiest thing there is, since you have nothing to do but only simply to "BE" -- your eternal true nature.

To be 'this' ( a 'somebody') is, by its very dependence on mind and elements, a falsehood. Hence its pursuance always brings
untold misery for, in order to "be somebody", much mental and physical exertion is required, blocking us from our true nature,
through birth after birth.

Holding to the Truth, -- the ground, our true nature, -- is the easiest.

"No Mind" =  "TO BE".

Holding to untruth is painful for it brings about the cycle of births and deaths. Moreover, your efforts to escape from it by means
of any of the hundreds of methods of sadhana are equally painful and fruitless as they are based on mind. All sadhanas except
Atma Vichara, Self Enquiry, are mind oriented, says Sri Bhagavan.

Why not listen to the Master, Bhagavan Ramana, who says, "You are the Self" and "Self Knowledge is the easiest thing there is."

Why cling to our state of uncertainty and doubt, which is worse than poison, binding us as it does to the mind which forever asserts,
"It is impossible" .... which it is, for the mind.

Conflict is the essence of this impure mind. This deluded mind, thinking, it knows all, forces us to take the position of an "onlooker",
a position rooted in untruth.

"There are no others", affirms Sri Ramana. "There is only the Self."

"The answer to Who am I?" is the asking" he says.

YOU are the asking.

You are THAT.

You are the Self.

concluded.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2013, 08:59:24 AM »
WE ARE GOD:

'We are God (Iswara). Iswara Drishti (i.e. seeing ourselves as God) is itself Divine Grace. So we need Divine Grace to get God's
Grace.'  Maharshi smiles......

- Talk No.  29.

Maulana Mansur al-Hallaj of the Middle East was sent to the gallows by the Orthodoxy for saying, 'Ana'l Haqq' ( I am God). That
was in the 9th century A.D. Centuries earlier than that, two milliennia before now, a carpenter/s son of Nazareth in Israel, who said,
'I and my Father are one'  and " I am the Truth' was nailed to the Cross at the instance of Orthodoxy. A few centuries before the
Good Shepherd was thus eaten up by bad wolves of Orthodoxy, an Athenian sculptor turned philosopher called Socrates was made
to drink a deadly cup of hemlock for 'heinous crime' of telling Athenians 'Gnothi Seauton' - Know Thyself.

Mansur, Jesus, and Socrates were all men of Truth, true God-men. What they said was nothing but the Truth . Yet, why were they
killed by their fellowmen? Mind you, their killers were all religious people, not non believers.

The killers believed that God is out there, up there, beyond there, not within. They thought, as men still do, that men and women
with their bodies and minds, were different from one another and that God ruled over their destinies. Mansur, Jesus, and Socrates,
on the contrary, had lost their individuality and found the everlasting, limitless, luminous Truth - God - within them, called by them variously as Haq, Allah, Eli and so on. When they said 'I' they meant the one Universal Self, within each being where to their killers
'I' was no more than the person uttering that word.

continued....

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2013, 10:23:27 AM »
WE ARE GOD:

continues......

Even in this country, where the Mahavakyas like "I am Brahman",  "You are That (Brahman)" etc., were given to men thousands
of years ago, there has been a long philosophical feud between those who said that the individual soul is God, Absolute Itself,
and those who said, 'No, they are two different things; the jiva (individual) is just an aspect of God, the personal God, and the
part cannot hold the Whole.'

Bhagavan Ramana, in His benedictory verse to His Tamizh translation of Acharya Sankara's Atma Bodha said: "Can Sankara,
the Enlightener of the Self, be different from one's own Self? Who but He does this day, abiding as the inmost Self in one, speak
this in the Tamizh language?"  It would, therefore, not be proper to speak of Bhagavan Ramana and Acharya Sankara, or, for that
matter, Mansur, Jesus, Socrates, Buddha, and other Self realized Beings as different beings; they are the same Self manifesting in
various ways at various times.

However, the manifestation of the Self as Bhagavan Ramana, was one of perfect Silence and Stillness. Sri Ramana  made no
assertions and never preached nor discoursed. He was a Hill of Peace and Stillness. Clad in a loincloth and, in the early years,
His hair unkempt, and nails uncut, He was immersed in the Self.

continued......

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2013, 10:00:16 AM »
WE ARE GOD:

continues.....

He had no need to instruct much less reform people because, to His illumined eyes, the world was Brahman and everyone was That
only. Yet, people, both the learned and the unlearned revered Him as a Swami, a sage. One day a man of great asceticism, of monumental Sanskrit scriptural scholarship and matchless poetic skill, came, saw the young boy, and was conquered, and bade His students refer to
the sage thenceforth as BHAGAVAN SRI RAMANA MAHARSHI. How did the Mahakavi, the great poet, recognize Sri Ramana as Maharshi, the great seer, as Bhagavan, (the Divine One, the Blessed One)? Ganapati Muni, for that was his name, said, "Thanks to God-given knowledge'! 

During the fifty four years of Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi's silent spiritual reign from Arunachala, countless seekers of Wisdom came to Him from far and near. They had only to spend a brief while in His Presence before they realized that here was Being totally devoid of body consciousness and ego, and here  was truly Bhagavan, the Divine One.

Sri Ramana did not proclaim 'I am God' or 'I am Brahman'. The truth stuck out a thousand miles literally. What is more, in His Presence, one lost one's individuality and understood one's unity with all beings. When one saw that Sri Bhagavan not merely showed equality and fraternity with men and women, birds, goats, cows, monkeys, deer, dogs, snakes and so on, but was in total indivisible oneness with them, one spontaneously felt the divinity of every living thing, including plants and trees.

continued.......

Arunachala Siva.                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2013, 08:21:19 AM »
WE ARE GOD:

continues.......

Kunju Swami, an old Asramite, often used to say, that while an Avatara is not necessarily a total manifestation of the Self, a
Stitha prajna like Sri Bhagavan is. Actually, Sri Bhagavan said that since the Self is ever is, where is the question of avatarana
or descent. Sri Ramana whom Sri Aurobindo once referred to as a 'spiritual colossus', did not move among men as an awesome
Superior Being, not even as a first among equals, but as a Pure Non dual Essence. There were not two of any kind for Sri Bhagavan.
The Guru and the disciples, men and women, jnani and ajnani, the good and the bad, man and beast were all the One Self for Him.
Indeed, 'We are That'. The plural We vanishes into the singular, non dual That. Nan udiyadu ulla nilai nam aduvai ulla nilai (The State
in which 'I' does not arise in the State in which We Are That. - Ulladu Narpadu, Verse 27.

The idea of God (Iswara, Yahweh or Jehovah, Allah, Ahura Mazda and so on) has obsessed men since milllennia. A Western thinker,
when asked what, according to him, was the greatest human invention, said, 'God. Voltaire, the French savant and satirist par excellence, said if God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him. Of Immanuel Kant, the German philosopher, it is said, that in
one book he denied God, in a second he affirmed God and in a third, The Critique of Judgement he found him! Another German philosopher, Friedrich Nietzche, declared God is dead. When someone knocked at the door of the Sufi Saint Bayazid and asked, 'Is
Bayazid there?', the saint answered 'Is anybody here except God?' Gandhiji who kept saying 'God is Truth' later started saying Truth
is God. On his returning to earth, the first Soviet Cosmonaut said that he could not find God anywhere in space, When St. John of the
Cross of Spain came out after serving a term in prison, he said, 'When I was in prison, I was so intoxicated with God that when I came
out I could not see anything except Him, everywhere!'

continued......

Arunachala Siva.                         

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian sir,

Thank You Very much for sharing these wonderful words!

With love and prayers,
Love

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2013, 08:13:50 AM »
WE ARE GOD:

So, there have been in every country believers in God, non believers, and agnostics who neither believed nor disbelieved.
There are those who find God everywhere, those who find Him only in places of worship, and other we do not see Him anywhere!

'Awakening' is Godhood. An awakened man realizes that his Consciousness is God. The disorder that exists in our sleepy, dreamy
lives vanishes when we wake up and find our true identity.

Bhagavan Ramana says that our so called wakeful state is a dream, only it is a long dream.

The Jnani, the awakened, Self Realized one says:

"I slept and dreamt that the world was real.
I woke and found that the world is a dream, the Self is real."

He also found, " I am Brahman", or 'Sivoham' (I am Siva), or 'Ana'l Haqq' or even better as Bhagavan pointed out, " I AM".

What a beautiful word the Hebrew language has for God. "Yahweh" which means "I AM". Jehovah is the anglicized form of the word
Yahweh. Sri Ramana said that the Old Testament's I AM that I AM is even better than "Aham Brahmasmi" ( I am Brahman) as a
description of the Self.

Why do men live in oblivion of their divine identity. Why do they gape in disbelief when told "I AM GOD". "You Are God,"  "We Are
God"? Or when told that the world is an illusion and the Self is Real?

Why do men live in sorrow and conflict? Why do men behave like little, limited creatures of circumstances? Why is the human
family divided by ever so many walls between man and man? Is Self Realization within every man's reach or is it only for the
chosen few?

continued.....

Arunachala Siva.