Author Topic: Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi:  (Read 12284 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi:
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2013, 12:25:01 PM »
Talks No. 320:

In the course of an informal conversation, Sri Bhagavan pointed out that the Self Realization is possible only for the fit.
The Vasanas must be completely eliminated before Jnana dawns. One must be like Janaka for Jnana to dawn. One must
be ready to sacrifice everything for the Truth. Complete renunciation is the index of fitness.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2013, 10:14:59 AM »
Talks No. 478:

A certain man from Madurai asked, 'How to know the Power of God?'

Maharshi: You say 'I AM'. That is it. What else can say I AM?

One's own being is His Power. The trouble arises only when on says, 'I am this or that, such and such.' Do not do it - Be Yourself.
That is all.

Devotee: How to experience Bliss?

Maharshi: To be free from thinking ' I am now out of Bliss.'

Devotee: That is to say, free from modes of mind.

Maharshi: To be with only one mode of mind to the exclusion of others.

Devotee: But Bliss must be experienced.

Maharshi: Bliss consists in not forgetting your being. How can you be otherwise than what you really are? It is also to be the
Seat of Love. Love is Bliss. Here the Seat is not different from Love.

Devotee: How shall I be all pervading?

Maharshi: Give up the thought, 'I am not all pervading now.'

Devotee: How to permeate the separate objects?

Maharshi: Do you exist independently of 'I'? Do they say to you, 'We are'? You see them. You are, and then the objects are also
seen. 'Without me, these do not exist.' -- this knowledge is permeation. Owing to the idea 'I am the body'; there is something in me'
the separate objects are seen as if lying outside. Know that they are all within yourself. Is a piece of cloth independent of yarn?
Can the objects remain with Me?'

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2013, 12:52:19 PM »
Talks No. 479:

Devotee: Which is the best of all the religions? What is Sri Bhagavan's method?

Maharshi:  All religions and methods are one and the same.

Devotee: Different methods are taught for liberation.

Maharshi: Why should be liberated? Why not you remain as you are now?

Devotee: I want to get rid of pain. To get rid of pain it is said to be liberation.

Maharshi: That is what all religions teach.

Devotee: But what is the method?

Maharshi: To retrace your way back.

Devotee: Whence have I come?

Maharshi: This is just what you should know. Did these questions arise in your sleep?  Did you not exist even then? Are you not the
same being now?

Devotee: Yes. I was in sleep. So also the mind;  but the senses had merged, so I could not speak.

Maharshi: Are you Jiva? Are you the mind? Did the mind announce itself to you in sleep?

Devotee: No. But elders say that the Jiva is different from the Isvara.

Maharshi: Leave Isvara alone. Speak for yourself.

Devotee: What about myself? Who am I?

Maharshi: This is just it. Know it, when all will be known; if not, ask then.

Devotee: On waking I see the world and I am not changed from sleep.

Maharshi: But this is not known in sleep. Now or then, the same you remain. Who has changed now? Is your nature to be changing
or remain unchanging?

Devotee: What is the proof?

Maharshi: Does one's own being require a proof? Only remain aware of your own self, all else will be known.

Devotee: Why then do the dualists and non dualists quarrel among themselves?

Maharshi: If each one minds his own business, there will be no quarrel.

Arunachala
Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
Talks No, 483:

Mr. Sitaramiah, a visitor: What does samayamana mean in Patanjali Yoga Sutra?

Bhagavan: One pointedness of mind.

Devotee: By such samyamana in the Heart, chitta samvid is said to result.

Bhagavan: Chitta samvid is Atma Jnana i.e Knowledge of Self. One leads to other.

Arunachala Siva,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2013, 10:48:39 AM »
Talks No. 484.

Devotee: I think that celibacy and initiation are prerequisites even for a householder in order that he may succeed in
self investigation. Am I right?

Or can a householder observe celibacy and seek initiation from a master on occasions only?

Maharshi: First ascertain who the wife and the husband are. Then these questions will not arise.

Devotee: Engaged in other pursuits, can the mental activities be checked and the query - Who am I? - pursued?
Are they are not contrary to each other?

Maharshi: These questions arise only in the absence of strength of mind. As the mental activities diminish its strength increases.

Devotee: Does the karma theory mean that the world is the result of action and reaction? If so, action and reaction of what?

Maharshi: Until realization, there will be karma i.e action and reaction. After realization, there will be no karma, no world.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2013, 10:55:36 AM »
Talks No. 485:

Devotee: While engaged in Atma Vichara I fall asleep. What is the remedy for it?

Maharshi: Do nama-sankirtana, singing the name of God.

Devotee: It is ruled out in sleep.

Maharshi: True. The practice should be continued while awake. Directly you wake up from sleep, you resume it. The sleeper
does not care for Atma Vichara. So he need not practice anything. The waking self desires it and so he must do it.

The mind is something mysterious. ....The mind is like akasa. Just as there are objects in the akasa, so there are thoughts in
the mind. The akasa is the counterpart of the mind and objects are of thought. One cannot hope to measure the universe and
study the phenomena. It is impossible. For the objects are mental creations. To measure them is similar to trying to stamp with
one's foot on the head of the shadow cast by oneself. The farther one moves the farther the shadow does. So one cannot plant one's
foot on the head of the shadow.

The universe is only an object created by the mind and has its being in the mind. It cannot be measured as an exterior entity.
One must reach the Self in order to reach the universe.

Arunachala Siva.

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2013, 12:01:55 PM »
Dear Subramanian ji,
      :) From practical experience,  I some times wonder how anyone could get sleepy while being engaged in Self enquiry !! :)

When in Self enquiry, the mind is absolutely alert and Abiding as "I AM".
If I am very sleepy, then I find it difficult to do self enquiry at all.
Once Self enquiry starts, sleep vanishes !
This is my experience.

infact, once I felt sleepy and then asked "Who feels Sleepy"... and instantly the sleep vanished ... and I sat as "I AM". But yes, if one is very sleepy it will become difficult to practise enquiry. so then, its good to sleep :)

Harih OM!
http://www.selfabidance.blogspot.in/

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2013, 12:36:25 PM »
Talks No. 487:

An English lady, a young woman, came here dressed in a Muslim sari. She had evidently been in North India and met Dr.
G.H. Mees.

Sri Bhagavan read out a stanza "The Black Sun" from the anniversary number of the The Vision, written by Swami Bharatananda.
After a few minutes, Miss. J. asked:

One gathers from the stanza that one should keep on meditating until one gets merged in the state of consciousness. Do you
think it right?

Maharshi: Yes.

Devotee: I go further and ask: Is it right that one should, be conscious will, go into that state from which there is no return?

(No answer from Maharshi).

Arunachala  Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2013, 12:42:21 PM »
Talks No. 487: (3rd May 1938):

The same lady continued.... If the world is only a dream, how should it be harmonized with the Eternal Reality?

Maharshi: The harmony consists in the realization of its inseparateness from the Self.

Devotee: But a dream is fleeting, and unreal. It is also contradicted by the waking state.

Maharshi: The waking experiences are similar.

Devotee: One lives fifty years and finds a continuity in the waking experience which is absent in dreams.

Maharshi: You go to sleep and dream a dream in which the experiences of fifty years are condensed within the short duration
of the dream, say five minutes. There is also a continuity in the dream.  Which is real now? Is the period covering fifty years of
your waking state real, or the short duration of five minutes of your dream?  The standards of time differ in the two states. That is
all. There is no other difference between the experiences.

Devotee: The spirit remains unaffected by the passing phenomena and by the successive bodies of repeated births. How does each
body get the lift to set it acting?

Maharshi: The spirit is differentiated from matter and is full of life. The body is animated by it.

Devotee: The realized being is then the spirit and unaware of the world.

Maharshi: He sees the world but not as separate from the Self.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2013, 09:07:31 AM »
Talks No. 488:

A group of young men asked: "It is said that healthy mind can be only in a healthy body. Should we not attempt to keep
the body always strong and healthy?"

Maharshi: In that way, there will be no end of attention to the health of the body.

Devotee: The present experiences are the result of past karma. If we know the mistakes committed in the past, we can
rectify them.

Maharshi: If one mistake is rectified there yet remains the whole sanchita which is going to give you innumerable births.
So that is not the procedure. The more you prune a plant, the more vigorously it grows. The more you rectify your karma
the more it accumulates. Find the root of karma and cut if off.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2013, 12:48:43 PM »
Talks No. 489:

Another group of visitors was asking the method of Realization. In the course of a reply, Sri Bhagavan said: 'Holding the mind
and investigating it is advised for a beginner. But what is mind after all? It is a projection of the Self. See for whom it appears
and from where it rises. The 'I'--thought will be found the root cause.  Go deeper, the I thought disappears and there is an
infinitely expanded 'I'- Consciousness. This is otherwise called Hiranyagarbha. When it puts on limitations, it appears as individuals.'

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2013, 12:51:25 PM »
Talk No. 491:

Mr. Kishorelal Mashruwala, President, Gandhi Seva Sangh, asked 'How is Brahmacharya to be practiced in order that it may be
successfully lived up to?'

Sri Bhagavan: It is a matter of will power. Sattvic food, prayers, etc., are useful aids to it.

Devotee: Young men have fallen into bad habits. They desire to get over them and seek our advice.

Sri Bhagavan: Mental reform is needed.

Devotee: Can we prescribe any special food, exercise, etc., to them?

Sri Bhagavan: There are some medicines. Yogic asanas and sattvic food are also quite useful.

Devotee: Some young persons have taken a vow of brahmacharya. They repent of the vow after the lapse of ten or twelve years.
Under the circumstances should we encourage young persons to take the vow of brahmacharya?

Sri Bhagavan: This question will not arise in the case of true brahmacharya.

Devotee: Some young men take the vow of brahmacharya without knowing its full implications. When they find it difficult to carry out
in practice, they seek our advice.

Sri Bhagavan: They need not take a vow but they may try it without the vow.

Devotee: Is naishhtika brahmacharya (life long celibacy) essential as a sadhana for Self Realization?

Sri Bhagavan: Rrealization itself is naishtika brahmacharya.  The vow is not brahmacharya. Life in Brahman is brahmacharya and it is not
a forcible attempt at it.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2013, 12:43:29 PM »
Talks No. 492:

In a suit filed by the temple against the Government, regarding the ownership of the Hill, Sri Bhagavan was cited as a witness.
He was examined by a commission. In the course of the examination-in-Chief, Sri Bhagavan said that Siva always remains in
three forms. (1) as Parabrahman  (2) as Linga, here as a Hill and (3) as Siddha. --- Brahmarupa, Linga Rupa and Siddha Rupa.

There are some tirthas on the Hill, e.g., Mulaipal Tirtham, and Pada Tirtham, said to have been originated for or by Virupaksha Devar
and Guhai Namasivayar.

Siva originally appeared as a column of Light. On being prayed to, the Light disappeared into the Hill and manifested as Linga. Both are
Siva.

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2013, 11:48:52 AM »
Talks No. 491:

After a few minutes, Sri Bhagavan remarked about Mr. Kishorelal's weak body.

Mr. Kishorelal: I am asthamatic. I have never been strong. Even as a baby I was not fed on my mother's milk.

Maharshi: Here the mind is strong and the body is weak.

Devotee: I wanted to practice Raja Yoga. I could not do it because of my physical unfitness. The mind began to wander with the movement of the body.

Maharshi: If the mind is kept immovable, let the body change as much as it likes.

Devotee: Is it not a handicap to the beginner?

Maharshi: Attempts must be made in spite of handicaps.

Devotee: Of course. But they will be momentary.

Maharshi: The idea of 'momentary' is one among so many other ideas. So long as thought persist this idea also will recur. Concentration is our own nature (i.e. BEING). There is the effort now. But it ceases after Self Realization.

Devotee: It is said to be the interval between flights of mind.

Maharshi: This too is due to the activity of the mind.

The Devotee submitted that whenever he had thought that he had found something original, he later discovered that he was already
forestalled.

Sri Bhagavan pointed out that everything remains already in the germinal form and so there can be nothing new.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2013, 12:15:12 PM »
Talks No. 493:

An Andhra Visitor: 'What will aid me  to fix my attention always at Your Holy Feet?

Maharshi: The thought "Am I ever away from the feet?"

Devotee:  How is this thought to be fixed?

Maharshi: By driving away other thoughts which counteract this.

Arunachala Siva.