Author Topic: Being Still - Summa Iruthal  (Read 5484 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Being Still - Summa Iruthal
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 08:52:19 AM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 09:07:57 AM »
"All we need to do is keep quiet"

Very true if we understand the true meaning of it.

Quiet is that which is quiet whether you are in deep jungles OR in the midst of worst traffic. Quiet is that which is quiet whether you are talking non stop for hours or sitting silent. Quiet is that which is quiet whether you are running around doing charity to millions or sitting idle without any action. Quiet is that which is quiet whether you are showing deep attachment to something or being like a rock with no emotions. Quiet is that which is quiet irrespective of what karma you are doing. Quiet is that from which everything that is seemingly not quiet pops up from and dissolves back. Quiet is that which is quiet when you are doing the worst sin or doing the most accoladed charity. Quiet is that which is quiest when you are born, when you live and when you die. Quiet is that which is quiet in deep sorrow and in most exalted happiness state. Quiet is that which is quiet whether you do something or not. Quiet is that which is omnipresent, omiscient and omnipotent.

Sanjay.
Salutations to Bhagawan

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 09:44:34 AM »
Therefore, your observation does not meet the pramana of Bhagavan as He has revealed as follows in the above -

When the mind comes out of the Self, the world appears. Therefore, when the world appears (to be real), the Self does not appear; and when the Self appears (shines) the world does not appear.

Some of us seem to be suffering from pick and chose disease. We pick some statements of Ramana and exclude some others conveniently to get what we want to imagine.

POST 17

Here is a conversation between annamalai swami and Ramana , pg 234 of Living by the words of bhagavan.

"Does Samadhi mean that one is unaware of everything ?" , I asked.
"No," said Bhagavan. "Mediation will go on without our effort. That is Samadhi"
"Then what is Sahaja Samadhi ?", I asked.
Bhagavan answered by saying , " In that state meditation will always be going on. In that State the thought , 'I am meditating' or 'I am not meditating' will not occur".

I then asked Bhagavan about periods in meditation when I was only aware of an all-pervasive blankness.
"Sometimes nothing is seen", I said. "Is this good?"
Bhagavan did not seem to approve of all these states, "In the beginning", he said, "It is good if meditators meditate with Self Awareness".

The state of Sahaja Samadhi contined to intrigue me. A few weeks later I asked him another question about it, "Can one practise sahaja samadhi right from the beginning?"
Bhagavan replied by saying that one could.
"But how to practise it ", I asked. "And how does one practise nirvikalpa samadhi ? How many different kinds of samadhi are there ?"
"There is only one kind of Samadhi", Said Bhagavan , "not many kinds. To remain temporarily subsided in the reality without any thought is nirvikalpa Samadhi. Permanently abiding in the Self without forgetting it is Sahaja Samadhi. Both will give the same happiness"

The final moral: Take the whole teaching and not just pick and chose what you want to :)
The vision has to be got and then one can live it.
unfortunately without getting the understanding people groop in darkness thinking various things.
Harih OM!
http://www.selfabidance.blogspot.in/

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 09:48:51 AM »
Dear Sri Jewel,

The mind,sure,is ment to be without movements. Just Be. Presene,Awareness,staying in the core of our being,our knowing and feeling that we are. That is not possible in any other way,to be without thoughts,exept in holding on ones very Presence and Abidance. To try to be without thoughts in any other way is impossible,by my thinking. Peace comes from that,peace is that which follows constant effort to Abide. Until it is effortless.

thank you, that was a contemplative post. yes, there is no better way but to hold on to the Presence  and in abidance is the way but as pointed by me in previous posts, what stops us from holding on to the Presence is what i am aspiring to look into. Which is why i came up with questions - if by holding on to the Presence then, truly nothing else would really affect us or would any sankalpas would really affect us. Therefore, we have no other course but to exercise ourselves in Self Enquiry.

I am wondering, if it is bliss that is experienced keeping the mind in Self, why is it that we give in to our sankalpas of any kind, it goes to prove that even if it may mean temporary, we choose our sankalpa over keeping the mind in Self.

However, we are able to keep our minds absorbed in Self, some time, but not continuously as sahaja nirvikalpa.

Dear Sri Ravi,

Excellent post, Sri Aurobindo only could express like this. This is exactly what i have been striving to communicate, what you have italicized is precicely my concern and which i want to look into.

You can certainly go on developing the consciousness of the Witness Purusha above, but if it is only a witness and the lower Prakriti is allowed to have its own way, there would be no reason     why these conditions should ever stop. Many take that attitude – that the Purusha has to liberate itself by standing apart, and the Prakriti can be allowed to go on till the end of the life doing its own business – it is prАrabdha karma; when the body falls away, the Prakriti will drop also and the Purusha go off into the featureless Brahman! This is a comfortable theory, but of more than doubtful truth; I don't think liberation is so simple and facile a matter as that. In any case, the transformation which is the object of our yoga would not take place.

The Purusha above is not only a Witness, he is the giver (or withholder) of the sanction; if he persistently refuses the sanction to a movement of Prakriti, keeping himself detached, then, even if it goes on for a time by its past momentum, it usually loses its hold after a time, becomes more feeble, less persistent, less concrete and in the end fades away. If you take the Purusha consciousness, it should be not only as the Witness but as the Anumanta, refusing sanction to the disturbing movements, sanctioning only peace, calm, purity and whatever else is part of the divine nature. This refusal of sanction need not mean a struggle with the lower Prakriti; it should be a quiet, persistent, detached refusal leaving unsupported, unassented to, without meaning or justification, the contrary action of the nature.

Sri Aurobindo[/size]

I do not know if i would end up conveying clearly, but, in exercising as above, i am faced with a nameless and answer-less question of "what to do?" but yes, intellectually, we discern there is truly nothing to do but, there is this unlimited-ness, that is expressed in a nameless question. Yes, we could interpret it as somethings like 'karma is being killed' and so on, but that unlimited expanse is so vast, there. I am aware these expressions are only from relative sphere, but there is a need from within to look at it. Here, when i am faced with this nameless question - "what to do?" i try and see in perspective, and i realise that the instrument which i am using is limited  but yet, there is no other way except being a honest observer. I remember the teachings, there is nothing to do, just be, truly nothing, just be, and so on... but that expanse never ends, it continues for ever, there seems to be no end to being a witness, because of which after a while the force of the energy of the nameless is quite in-depth, and here, after a while the only recourse is turning back to the limited relative sphere which seem to help only momentarily.

--
मनश्चेन्न लग्नं गुरोरंघ्रिपद्मे ततः किं ततः किं ततः किं ततः किम् ।।

Manaschenna lagnam Gurorangri padme, Thatha kim Thathah Kim, Thathah kim Thathah kim

If the mind does not remain at the Lotus feet of Guru, What is the use? What is the use? What is the use!!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
Dear Udai,

Some of us seem to be suffering from pick and chose disease. We pick some statements of Ramana and exclude some others conveniently to get what we want to imagine.

The final moral: Take the whole teaching and not just pick and chose what you want to :)
The vision has to be got and then one can live it.
unfortunately without getting the understanding people groop in darkness thinking various things.

As usual, you communication is full of distaste and thorns devoid of any compassion and love. However, as said before, always each one shares what one has, if one has flowers and thorns, we end up sharing both.

but i chose to ignore these and look into your post for personal benefit. Thank you. i will get back to you.

--
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:04:38 AM by Nagaraj »

Manaschenna lagnam Gurorangri padme, Thatha kim Thathah Kim, Thathah kim Thathah kim

If the mind does not remain at the Lotus feet of Guru, What is the use? What is the use? What is the use!!

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 10:07:11 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,
           :) why do you think this is "thorns" ? compassion is not about always agreeing with everything. A student is not studying properly and going to various temples for getting good marks ... i tell him "Hey! Dont be stupid! Work Hard! Stand work for your benefit. This is not going to give you anything" ! That is harsh to look at and yet thats what the student really benefits from.
As a matter of fact ... to agree to everything and suggest to such a student to go to Chirkur Balaji temple is not compassion.

One needs to have the courage to face the Truth Nagaraj ... and I sincerely believe you have that strength. I tell the Truth as it is, whether its you or Anil and if i do not see something as true, i acknowledge it straight. why should i tell "oh you are so right" when i see it otherwise ? There was an occassion where Ravi ji told me about deep sleep something that was important and i argued against it ... within minutes i returned back and acknowledged my mistake.

infact, once i was taking a class and in between i saw that i was not clear on what i was presenting ... immediately i told them "Sorry, i have to look up books and come back. i cannot teach this class today coz i have got a doubt " ... i could have said it otherwise to save my face ... infact the students never got the doubt ... but one has to be straight ... one should not compromise on what one knows for sure!

I stand by what i see as truth ! There is no compromise on that. Whether you get angry and ask me to keep out of some of your threads and continue spreading what you want to is a choice you have ... just tell me to keep away from the thread and i will keep away. but if i see a thread as wrong, ill give my views straight ... coz i know you and everyone here are matured enough and i need not present a diluted version of my ideas by coating it with sugar.
Harih OM!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 10:15:42 AM »
Dear Udai,

it only means you still require more polishing.. do not feel you have reached some end. You are not. period. One whose heart is purified with ambrosia of Truth will never communicate with sarcasm. You seem to be floating in some sky, sometime, you will to be grounded, then you will remember. Thank you!

--

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 10:33:10 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,
         :) As I mentioned earlier also ... the purpose of spirituality is not to find reasons to tell others that "You are unfilled yet" ! No matter which saint you follow ... as long as "i am unfulfilled" remains ... one cannot Just Be.

So if you think "I" or "You" need polishing ... one would definitely try to polish and not "Just Be". Just Be seems impossible ... not coz its impossible but coz i think some polishing it required.

Its the same problem ... materialistic people think they need material polishing. Spiritual people think they need spiritual polishing and hence both do not just remain.

And these people perpetuate each other's sense of inadequacy ... in some or the other way!! They would like everyone to tell them they need polishing and thye would not miss an opportunity to tell otehrs that they need polishing :D ! and when someone says ... you are a finished product ... even now , as you are ... you need no polishing ... its blasphemous. :D Unless this is undone ... all talk of just be remains only a talk ...

sarcasm ? There is no insult to the person friend ... its an insult on the idea ... the idea has to be rejected ... no choice ...if one takes rejection of ideas as sarcasm , then whole vedanta is sarcasm ... "nasti nasti eva " ... what is that ? its rejecting the world ... and if someone who believes the world is real ... that rejection is seen as sarcasm ... it cannot be helped sir!!
Harih OM!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 10:39:16 AM »
One needs to have the courage to face the Truth

Udai, you should also have the same courage to face the truth  ;)

Udai, your sermon here seems like the ministries that strive to garner more.

You never answer to questions to asked to you and you persist in giving sermons at various occasions. You are stuck in a delusion, which i can clearly see, and you are unwilling to walk out of it as delusion seems heaven to you at this moment. Like they say, when teenager is in love, they forget whole world.

There is flaw in your claim, and you have consistently refused participate in a discussion. I am not interested, i only pray you do not become another "Dattaswami" God Bless you.

--

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 10:41:43 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,
      :) Long before you can prove to me that there is a flaw in my claim .. first u should know what is the claim :D LOL! and i am 100% sure you do not know ... coz you never tried to first read what i was saying ... you seemed more interested in taking a side :D !
As i said earlier as well ... if you could clearly state what my claim is :D ... then you can prove if there is a flaw or not !! No harm in wishing to prove it wrong ... but first know what it is if you want to even state such a thing :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:50:22 AM by Tushnim.Asanam »
Harih OM!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 10:46:14 AM »
Udai,

you please be happy in your well!

In recent times, your conduct has been quite distasteful and the only reason that motivates me to endure them is only that it is the ego-mind, hence i do not mind your gibberish.

Please look yourself in a mirror, so many things will be known to you.

--

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 10:48:43 AM »
LOL! I knew you would not state what I claim! :) for that you will have to carefully study what i wrote ! :)

Ego mind ... :D good term.
Harih OM!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 10:51:43 AM »
LOL! I knew you would not state what I claim!

it would be of help if you could trace back to the source the 'I' that claims.

LOL

--

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 10:52:48 AM »
we know materialistic gaalis [abuses ]
spiritual gaalis are even more interesting : u ego mind ! u ego fellow ! etc :D nice ones.
and when in ramana forum ... there is standard i gues "trace back this "I" " ... meaning u ego fellow only ;) in slightly different language.
Harih OM!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 10:56:59 AM »