Author Topic: Being Still - Summa Iruthal  (Read 5485 times)

silentgreen

• View Profile
Re: Being Still - Summa Iruthal
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 11:55:59 AM »
d: Let us analyze being still.
cguru: ok

d: When I become still, all agitations seem to come.
cguru: That is being steal, your composure is being stolen away.

d: Sometimes when I become still, I become rigid.
cguru: That is being steel. You are becoming rigid like steel.

d: And sometimes when I become still I become bored.
cguru: That is being stale. The being you feel makes you stale instead of fresh.

d: Sometimes to become still I decorate the room and wear nice clothes.
cguru: That is being style. You style yourself for stilling.

d: Then what after all is being still?
cguru: For that you need to insert the "i" between "st" and "ll".

d: Where is that "i"?
cguru: "i" is deep inside the "i".

d: Good God!
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 01:02:11 PM »
M: At the time of waking up from sleep and before becoming aware of the world, there is that pure "I-I." Hold onto it without sleeping, and without allowing thoughts to possess you. If That is held firm, it does not matter even if the world is seen; the seer will remain unaffected by the phenomena.
Harih OM!
http://www.selfabidance.blogspot.in/

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 01:05:44 PM »
Dear silentgreen

Nice. Being still is being still only. No words can explain that state where the i within should be inserted to become still.
The i should not wander outside.

Arunachala Siva. 

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 01:09:32 PM »
words need not explain "being still"
its enough if words negate the "non-still-ness"
thats what the word "OM" does.

Harih OM!

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 05:03:39 PM »
Related to original topic - The fundamental nature of human ego is "I will do so and so action to achieve that goal". There are three parts to this problem as we all know. First part "I will do". Second part "so and so action" and third part "achieve that goal". This is the core thematic with which "ego partcipates" in everything. When it comes to spirituality, ego tries to do the same thing too. Ego says - "OK. I will help you here. Let us do this and this. And we will achieve that goal". Ego feels immensely threatened when there is no participation from it - so it disguises itself in various forms to gain a participatory effect. And the tools it uses to get hold is "action" and "goal" - Ego cannot exist without these two - karma and karma-phala. Even when it surrenders the karma-phala to Supreme, it says - "I am surrendeing".

Oh Lord - Indeed as you said in Gita, your Maya is insurmountable. How can I even surrender something to you, Lord? I need to first find something that is not you and then surrender that.  There is only one that I can surrender which is mine - truly mine. That is "I". And so let us surrender the "I" to its source.

"I will get rid of my ego" is also interestingly told by ego - so what can I do? All I can do is flood everything I see other than the ONE with that ONE.

My naive blabberings....
-Sanjay.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:17:16 PM by sanjaya_ganesh »
Salutations to Bhagawan

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 05:10:39 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Thanks so much for Sri Aurobindo's quote. it has provided the requisite light and clarity, upon further reflwction. thank you.

--
मनश्चेन्न लग्नं गुरोरंघ्रिपद्मे ततः किं ततः किं ततः किं ततः किम् ।।

Manaschenna lagnam Gurorangri padme, Thatha kim Thathah Kim, Thathah kim Thathah kim

If the mind does not remain at the Lotus feet of Guru, What is the use? What is the use? What is the use!!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 05:16:36 PM »
Dear Silentgreen,

yes, you have so clearly conveyed in most simplest way possible -

d: Then what after all is being still?
cguru: For that you need to insert the "i" between "st" and "ll".

d: Where is that "i"?
cguru: "i" is deep inside the "i"

thank you.

--
मनश्चेन्न लग्नं गुरोरंघ्रिपद्मे ततः किं ततः किं ततः किं ततः किम् ।।

Manaschenna lagnam Gurorangri padme, Thatha kim Thathah Kim, Thathah kim Thathah kim

If the mind does not remain at the Lotus feet of Guru, What is the use? What is the use? What is the use!!

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 05:17:11 PM »
Quote from Sri sanjay:
“First part "I will do". Second part "so and so action" and third part "achieve that goal". This is the core thematic with which "ego partcipates" in everything.”

Dear Sri Sanjay,

Yes. However, all these three clauses are the subordinate clauses, which are concomitant with the hidden principal clause ‘I am the body’, which is the form of the ego.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 05:21:08 PM »
Quote from Sri sanjay:
“First part "I will do". Second part "so and so action" and third part "achieve that goal". This is the core thematic with which "ego partcipates" in everything.”

Dear Sri Sanjay,

Yes. However, all these three clauses are the subordinate clauses, which are concomitant with the hidden principal clause ‘I am the body’, which is the form of the ego.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil

Dear Anil Ji

True. I think  it is even beyond that. Ego exists even when body does not exist. That is why it comes back to gain another body. So it is far more deeper than just getting rid of "I am the body" thinking. When you get rid of that "I am body" thinking, Ego says "I am not the body. I exist beyond this body. I will get another body. So why worry?". It indeed is insurmountable without grace. All one can do is flood everything - every inch of your thought and every inch of everything you see other than SELF with SELF. And the SELF will take control as your conviction progresses in this direction. "I will get rid of my ego" and "I am not the body" is also interestingly told by ego - so what can one do? All one can do is flood everything one sees, thinks, hears and talks with that ONE and that ONE will take over when conviction is deep enough.

In fact, transferring the ego's identification from sthoola to sookshma sharira is what MOST PEOPLE MISTAKE as enlightenment when they say "I am not body", "I am beyond death", "I am ever present" etc.

Pranamams
Sanjay
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:30:33 PM by sanjaya_ganesh »
Salutations to Bhagawan

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 06:42:12 PM »
           thank you, that was a contemplative post. yes, there is no better way but to hold on to the Presence  and in abidance is the way but as pointed by me in previous posts, what stops us from holding on to the Presence is what i am aspiring to look into. Which is why i came up with questions - if by holding on to the Presence then, truly nothing else would really affect us or would any sankalpas would really affect us. 

Dear Sri Nagaraj,

My thinking is that nothing will affect us when there is no one left to abide anymore. Before that,sure it will affect us,coz there is still the person who makes effort. Our job is then to rise beyond thoughts which affect us whille doing self enquiry. To focus only on that,and when bad gunas take over,to do japa,chant mantras,etc. Then when we feel we can concentrate,to get back to self attention.
I was thinking about same thing,what brings difficulty to hold onto Presence. It is ego only. Ego doasnt want its extinction,but its continuity. Thats why it want to be free. Its job is to survive.
We think if we gain self realisation,and lose identity,we will lose everything. Things we love,and most important,this person,its uniques,coz we all love ourselves. That was my impression anyway. Then,ego is fighting in very subtle ways. I think there lies the core of the problem. But i came to conclusion that,truly,there is no question of losing anything,when it is obvious this person truly doasnt exist. If all is governed by greater cause,that mind and body are only play of elements,that our body is only empty shell,that this life is only play on the screen,and we are observers only,that our real nature is always perfect and immortal,then,where is the question of losing anything. It is the way it is,that we are That is the fact. Then,why should i run from it. And i cant even if i wont to. I am what i am,why should i fear and fight then. Why should i fear to lose something i dont have. And i have much more in reality. That is something i am telling to myself. Where is the question to even gain something. I only need to understand that i am not this body,this mind,this person,that,that is main illusion. I dont live life,the pictures are changing on the screen of consciousness,and idea that i was born and i will die belong to person,who is again based on missunderstanding. I believe that we need to get rid of idea that we are individual.
Anyway,these were my thoughts on difficulties,and everything whith which our ego struggles only. I dont know any other way,then to deeply investigate ourselves,question,observe,and try to bring attention to self,coz so far,for me,that is only remedy. Sure,there is time when i am too restless for it,vbut then it could be done something else,or just simply relaxing will do.

With love and prayers,
Love

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 07:02:27 PM »
I must say that i agree with Sri Anil,and with Sri Sanjay previous post. Although it is true that it is not that simple,very true,i believe it is like that only bcoz of holding on identity itself. And identity is based on body. Ego is searching another body only bcoz of its strong hold on belief it is separate entity. Althrough,i must say,obviously,we hold on idea on reincarnation just bcoz that very idea we are separate entety. Without it,reincarnation cannot exist,and all ideas abou it are empty,how to say. That thought just occured to me. That certainly dont mean we should believe even in new ideas,like i am free,i am that,etc. In the end they are just ideas only. I remember one sentence about realisation which goes:"When you think it is over,it is not.". So long are there any idea,the one who can claim something,so long there is ego. And i agree with Sri Sanjay on that. When we understand something from this teachings,ego grows only bigger,and it is very dangerous place to be. Holding to the Guru,and the idea that all is just play of the mind is constantly needed. In those moments it is hard to know in what to believe.
I wanted to post something in idea I Am Not the body earlier,and Sri Anil just mentioned it. It is from the Sri Pradeep Apte's blog Nisargadatta Sadhana,but it is devited to Bhagavan i will post it exsactly the way its writen there. Only part of it.

With love and prayers,
Love

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 07:10:04 PM »
Dedicated to the Sadguru*Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi*and his extra-ordinary disciples*Sri Muruganar *and* Sri Annamalai Swami*
By Pradeep Apte

*I am (k)not the body*

1.You must have the firm conviction that ‘I am not the body’. The thought ‘I am the body’ is the deceptive device that makes us desire the world as though it were real. Thus we believe that we are entrapped in this powerful snare of bondage.
.2.You must have the firm conviction that ‘I am not the body’. The world appears only due to the confused belief ‘I am the body’ which is said to be the ‘maya’ (delusion or ignorance) that projects names and forms.
3.The delusion that causes the name-and-form appearance to be seen separate from ‘swarupa’ (Self) is that which insists that the world is real. It begins in the primal ignorance ‘I am the body’, so you must develop the firm conviction ‘I am not the body’
4.The thought ‘I am the body’ is the real original sin, it must be removed so that it does not rise again. Thus you must have the firm conviction that ‘I am not the body’.
5.You must have the firm conviction that ‘I am not the body’. After the ‘I am the body’ ego has vanished in those who enquire earnestly, they forever shine as the Supreme reality.
.6.You must completely abandon the ‘I am the body’ idea, only then would you realize the unceasing, ever-present bliss of the Self. Hold onto the firm conviction that ‘I am not the body
’7.The idea ‘I am the body’ misguided you to believe the body to be your dwelling place and its attributes your true nature. Now, know that ‘I am not the body’ and a finite entity does not truly exist.
.8.Have the firm conviction that ‘I am not the body’. To believe that ‘I am the body’ is just a dream-like appearance through forgetfulness of your own true Self, the reality, the fullness of consciousness, which is everything and nothing.
9.By having the firm conviction ‘I am not the body’ through the destruction of the ‘I am the body’ idea you will turn into a true devotee, ‘jnani’ (realized one) or God.
10.Only he who has freed himself from the ‘I am the body’ idea by the development of the ‘jnana’ (knowledge) that ‘I am not the body’ is a true ‘Brahmin’ (dweller in Brahman) and a true ‘sanyasin’ (renunciate).
11.Everything has arisen with the ‘I am the body’ idea, now focus your attention on the idea ‘I am not the body’ and hold on firmly to it and everything will disappear.
.12.When you persist with the idea ‘I am not the body’, after some time, it too shall vanish and you would abide as the pure expanse, the space of consciousness. Then, fear would cease completely and tranquility will prevail.
13.The thought ‘I am the body’ is the primary cause and basis of all other thoughts. Unless this thought occurs first, the appearance of the many external objects and the accompanying thought that they are apart from oneself will not occur.
14. In deep sleep, when the ‘I am the body’ idea is absent, the world does not appear nor do other thoughts appear. When one wakes up, it is the thought ‘I am the body’ that rises first.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:24:21 PM by Jewell »
Love

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2013, 07:16:31 PM »
Although it is true that it is not that simple,very true,i believe it is like that only bcoz of holding on identity itself.

Ego creates some or the other kind of separation and "Difficulty". Its difficult for whom ? "Ego" and you are not that.
Ego ... if it is real ... cannot be killed.
and Ego ... if it is unreal ... need not be killed.

people brilliantly use scriptural statemetns and the statements of gurus only to prove that its difficult, impossible... hard ... not achievable etc. While the actual teaching is "Here, Now ... you are free"... when i look from the "spectacles of ego" ... it appears difficult, tough etc. all thats to be done is not look from the spects of ego. if a person keeps on harping upon hte idea that i am bound ... how can he ever get out of the grips of ego ? Wrong identification with ego is the problem... ego is the "other" taken for "me"... thats the first recognition and it has to be taken into life ... not just read in books ... it dies a natural death when it has to ... stop identifying with it, even before it ends itself. coz unless one stops identifying ... it will perpetuate. and the biggest way one identifies is "i need to "reach" this state or that state".

And no ... as long a one thinks "i am bound" ... ego will perpetuate ... no matter how much self enquiry he does. First get rid of the notion that i have to reach anywhere ... and here and now one is summa iru ... no need to go anywhere, coz one is not identified with that propelling agent called ego which tries to prompt one should go here and there. And this ego is very skilled ... it says "ok ... but i am there na ? I need to go ... u have to make me go " ! LOL!
leave it where it is.
start treating it as unreal.
dont say "i am bound".
enjoy the freedom of "Being" --- here now ... not that i need to achieve it. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:19:35 PM by Tushnim.Asanam »
Harih OM!

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »
That freedom is possible here and now if one does a non-cooperation movement with the ego and mind.
mind says "i like this" and "I" do not identify with that "I"
mind says "I dont like this" and again "I" do not identify with that "I"
i remain as the "Sakshi" that i am ... Just Remain.
Let the mind jump as it does.
or let it stop jumping when it has to.
i remain as "I AM" --- since not in seated meditation all the time, world is seen, thoughts arise ... and yet i remain as "I AM" even during all this.
Like a person driving a car, remains separate from CAR even while the car is in motion... so to ... i remain separate from this body mind even during functioning of body and mind.
and mind cannot convince me to think or feel what it feels.
when there are some thoughts it says "i dont like it" ... that "I" is not me.

unless one does a non-cooperation with mind ... one will not discover that freedom that one already is.
unfortunately people cooperate with mind very nicely. it says i have to go to kashi to find myself or to arunachalam to find myself ... and we follow it ... go all the way to kashi or arunachalam only to find taht the mind says ..i should now do something else to find myself :D mind keeps popping and creating new destinations ... dont cooperate.
Harih OM!

Tushnim.Asanam

• View Profile
    • Self Abidance
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 07:32:53 PM »
and ah ah ! This is harsh :D LOL! Harsh to the mind ... dont cooperate friends ... you are not the mind and you have nothing to do with it. no need to pacify it , calm it, relax it ... you are the witness of mind ... ever Summa ... ever the abidance itself ... no need to convince this stupid mind about it ... no need to get a proof for mind to believe it.
be the sakshi which is untouched by mind.
mind says i am touched ... dont identify with that.

i am bound :D LOL! LOL! laugh at the mind !! use it ... dont allow it to use you!! Drive the car, let not hte car drive u!
Harih OM!